Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession World (Rather than fortress)  (Read 1090 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
Succession World (Rather than fortress)
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:44:27 pm »

I have this idea, perhaps it's not as novel as I think it is, but it's something I want to do so I'm going to throw it out there.

I think it would be fun to create a sort of community world, that is to say a "succession world" full of player generated history. The idea would be that people would pass it back and forth making fortresses, playing adventurers, reclaiming fortresses, and what have you.

The idea is to have a world full of strange and wonderful historical events, historical figures, etc. etc. but where people can still do their own thing (rather than taking over a bizarre patchwork fortress).

To get things going I think it would be good if the first few people took on incredibly suicidal challenges, like the "one pick challenge" at the place where a haunted mountain meets a savage forest. Or just generally play in such a way as to run the place into the ground as soon as possible. That way they can get to the FUN more quickly and consequently get it passed around more quickly. Once we've got a detailed record of FUN we can start doing longer games, maybe succession fortresses, who knows.

Does this sound like something anyone else would be interested in? The first step would be genning up some fresh worlds and comparing a few interesting ones until we find something special.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: Succession World (Rather than fortress)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:32 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131081.0 This thread has roughly the same idea so you might have better luck in there. We already have quite a few people though, unfortunately, but maybe the OP can give you a spot in the roster. Difference between that and this is that you're suggesting a whole world with player-generated history, which doesn't have the same appeal as only one fortress that's constantly reclaimed then eaten by undead.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession World (Rather than fortress)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:23 am »

There's also my "Luckiest Tourist EVER" game where players are building landmarks and then guiding a naked tourist named Twoflower through them.  However, it might be fun to gen a world that begins on year 2 and have a succession of fortresses that have to be immediately adjacent to the mountain-home of the parent civilization, to show how that civ expands over the years like the "Fate of All Worlds" game that will be starting soon.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii