Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plates, arrrgh!  (Read 506 times)

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plates, arrrgh!
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

In previous forts, I've used pressure plates to (attempt to) control water in my reservoir.  I've managed to flood myself out every time, due to floodgate placement (I'm told).  Okay then.

This time around, I didn't flood myself out... but the pressure plate doesn't work.  AT ALL.

The setup: I have a long channel running from the brook to my cistern, with a floodgate at the end (4 tiles from the cistern). The cistern is 10x10, 3 levels deep.  At the bottom level there is a pressure plate, set to reset, with levels from 0 to 7 (full); I wanted a lot of water sitting here at any given time.

(There is a 'master' floodgate immediately before the pressure-plate floodgate, linked to a lever, so I could set all this up without flooding myself out)

Okay then.  I followed the wiki and hooked a lever to the cistern floodgate and opened it before hooking up the pressure plate.  When I flooded the chamber, the pressure plate NEVER closed the cistern gate.  I let the water rise to 7/7 at the bottom level and 3/7 at the top level before closing the master floodgate; the water stopped and has settled, so this isn't (as far as I can tell) some strange version of the u-bend bug.

What gives?  Why won't my pressure plate work?!?  I don't want to have to bother with pulling the lever every couple seasons to refill the chamber, dangit  :)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plates, arrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

What's happening is you have your plate set to open the floodgate when water is 0-7, aka always. Set it to 0-6 if you want it to shut at 7.