Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning Caravans  (Read 719 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Returning Caravans
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

So, my first year the dwarf caravan appeared on top of my mountain, where the only way to get into my fortress is a single staircase.  The wagons couldn't get though, and there was an announcement saying "depot inaccessible."  The mules got though, and trading continued as normal, though with a lot less stuff.

Now, pressing "D" tells me that my depot is accessible; there is a green line that goes all the way to the edge of the map (the opposite edge from where the first caravan showed up).

Will the caravan always show up at the same place, or will they get the bright idea to next year show up at where the wagons can actually reach my fortress?

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Returning Caravans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

I know in past versions I've had them come from every which way but theres much speculation on if theres a difference or not, in my map the dwarven caravan usually comes form the same (northren) place but one time for some reason it spawned on a brook (very south) so I'm not sure i would say they may come form sowhere different... but I'm not sure...
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

Try maybe moving the depot to favor the side that is open? Is your current depot closer to the way they come or the path that's clear?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

The depot is very close to the side that's clear, and very far from the side on which they first came.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

The caravans have a preferred side, but will show up on another side if their preferred side can't access the depot.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Yourself:
<STRONG>The caravans have a preferred side, but will show up on another side if their preferred side can't access the depot.</STRONG>

Is it a side, or a biome?  I notice my own problematic caravans are spawning in the accessible biome -- but in a little lobe of it separated from the main part.
And not on the same side: my depot is accessible from the east, they're spawning up north.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

So the elves showed up in the same place as the dwarfs; on top of a mountain.  If the humans show up in the same place, I guess I'll just dig a lot of ramps.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

The elves never show up with a wagon, so they have a lot more freedom as far as entry points on the map are concerned.

I think, though I have no proof, that caravans will pick a point on the edge of the map from which they can reach the depot, and will start there. So if the only accessible point is on the opposite side of the map from the last one they used, well, they'll use that point. Otherwise the "Depot accessible" report would be lying.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

So theoretically, the next dwarf caravan should arrive where the wagons can access the depot? (Humans arrived on top of the mountain too)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

Well, the dwarves showed up on the same side of the map, and their wagons couldn't get though.  This really sucks, now I have to tunnel to all the edges of the map.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

My problem now is that I can buy everything in any caravan, and by the next year, the dwarves STILL haven't hauled away the stuff from the year before!
igless