Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with 'friendly' goblins  (Read 645 times)

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with 'friendly' goblins
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:12 am »

Hi there

I recently lost a fortress after two sieges in two months, and before the end, there was a lot of invaders trapped in cages.
I'm reclaiming this fort, so now I have like 200 friendly goblins and trolls wandering everywhere ... I know they'll not stay friendly very long when other goblins will try to invade, and there's no way I can survive a Siege plus 200 ennemies already inside the fort.

Last time, I was dealing with a dozen of them, so I killed them one by one (training and losing a lot of recruits). I don't think it's going to be possible with this amount of false friends...

Any ideas ? (no candy on the map right now)

Thanks
Aiseant
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with 'friendly' goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:42:31 am »

Since they will usually stay friendly until you attack them.. get creative. If you want to re-trap them.. just surround them with new cage traps, then you can plink them with a crossbow and when they run to attack they get trapped again. Just make sure you trap all the ones in the same general area as, in my experience, the entire room/sight bubble will go hostile at the same time.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:02 am »

I think killing them is still the best option, except you would want to be more careful now and use more dwarves and more crossbows. Weaponmasters would be the toughest, I'd recommend digging a ditch around them before shooting them.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:10 am »

Put them all in a room, if you can herd them around. Then it won't matter if they go hostile, as you can seal them up. You can even dump other hostile factions in with them and let them sort the problem for you. I gen my worlds with a titan/FB trigger inordinately low (30/30K) so that would generally be nice for me to have, but, you probably don't do that.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:04 am »

they may fight new ambushes/sieges that show up, but if you fight one of those new goblins or attack a friendly one, they'll all turn on you iirc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:06 am »

No way to herd them, and they're pretty much everywhere. As I expected, when the first siege occured, they all turned instantly hostile. Did I need to mention this ended my fort ?

Problem is I don't have enough time between starting to reclaim and the first siege to put anything in place, not even speaking of mastering any combat skill

I abandonned this one until I can find a way to reclaim it properly

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:01 am »

Did you try turtling up in a small burrow with your first-year ~20 dwarves, after turning off migrants? Maybe they'll leave when the first siege gets bored and leaves, or you'll just win some time to think about the problem and see what you can do

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

Insanely difficult option:  Go underground immediately.  Deep, below where you had previously had your fort.  Breed, grow, train.  Then, after many cave-adapted generations rise through the ground like a scourge of morlocks, wiping the goblins from your map.  Too bad you can't edit the raws and keep the fort to reclaim; you could make the dwarves willing to eat goblin meat and slowly devour the goblins.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:53 am »

Insanely difficult option:  Go underground immediately.  Deep, below where you had previously had your fort.  Breed, grow, train.  Then, after many cave-adapted generations rise through the ground like a scourge of morlocks, wiping the goblins from your map.  Too bad you can't edit the raws and keep the fort to reclaim; you could make the dwarves willing to eat goblin meat and slowly devour the goblins.

This. I like it :D