Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens to your trade goods?  (Read 1531 times)

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happens to your trade goods?
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:14:22 am »

Currently in my fort Renownedhalls I'm pumping out candy weapons and armour and dumping them onto the merchants, in the mindset that I'm slowly arming the entire dwarven civilization.

So the question becomes, do the things I sell to merchants become available to the wider civilization/world, or do they disappear/exist in a parallel universe?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to your trade goods?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:16:52 am »

paralel universe

if you go out as adventurer, you won't see them. In a new embark, merchants won't bring anything from your previous fort, etc. It's gone
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:57:18 am »

Wait, you're selling your Cotton Candy???

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:05:07 am »

paralel universe

if you go out as adventurer, you won't see them. In a new embark, merchants won't bring anything from your previous fort, etc. It's gone

Not all of it: merchants and their caravans count as 'historical persons', so after leaving they'll try to settle in a location of their civilisation. Currently, only humans can successfully do this, because only they actually generate towns and hamlets, but if you modded your raws to allow dwarfs (and elves) to build human-style places, you could probably get their merchants to settle down as well.

Adventurers can encounter ex-merchants when visiting the towns and villages where they settled. I'm not aware of any rules for this settling, as far as i know they could end up in any settlement of the civ. Items carried by wagons will generally be free for the taking, because wagons instantly fall apart when they aren't being towed. My adventurers have seen and retrieved items sold to the human merchants several times.

Unfortunately, merchants won't bring items bought in one fort to other forts and don't really add them to the possessions/equipment of their civilisation, either.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »

paralel universe

Not all of it: merchants and their caravans count as 'historical persons', so after leaving they'll try to settle in a location of their civilisation. Currently, only humans can successfully do this, because only they actually generate towns and hamlets, but if you modded your raws to allow dwarfs (and elves) to build human-style places, you could probably get their merchants to settle down as well.

Adventurers can encounter ex-merchants when visiting the towns and villages where they settled. I'm not aware of any rules for this settling, as far as i know they could end up in any settlement of the civ. Items carried by wagons will generally be free for the taking, because wagons instantly fall apart when they aren't being towed. My adventurers have seen and retrieved items sold to the human merchants several times.

Unfortunately, merchants won't bring items bought in one fort to other forts and don't really add them to the possessions/equipment of their civilisation, either.

I don't think you understand just how much candy I managed to mine out. Three spires have had no hollow bits for about 12 z-levels. Every military dwarf is decked out with full candy equipment and I even gave my Duke and King candy clothing along with candy furniture and candy encrusted kitten eyeballs for an exotic dessert.

My entire fort became devoted metal strand extractors.

But now that my civilization won't end up decked out with candy goods that I sell them, I lost interest and abandoned the fort due to FPS death.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »

Ive read a comment by toady that in future releases some items that get sold via caravan may make an appearance in adventure mode shops, before he tackles a full economy. I dont think this will be in the next release (but I suppose it is possible).

Id like to see ones sold goods being used/available in adventure mode too.

A relatively recent post on the forums was asking if you can influence a war between two foreign civs by selling masterwork steel (for example) to one side. At the minute of course "wars" dont occur during play between foreign civs because history is paused/frozen. This is changing with the next release I believe, so steps in this direction are being taken.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »

Ive read a comment by toady that in future releases some items that get sold via caravan may make an appearance in adventure mode shops, before he tackles a full economy. I dont think this will be in the next release (but I suppose it is possible).

Id like to see ones sold goods being used/available in adventure mode too.

A relatively recent post on the forums was asking if you can influence a war between two foreign civs by selling masterwork steel (for example) to one side. At the minute of course "wars" dont occur during play between foreign civs because history is paused/frozen. This is changing with the next release I believe, so steps in this direction are being taken.
Excellent. My interest in Dwarf Fortress waned slightly when I discovered that your fort has no real big impact on the world at large. Once it's put in where that is no longer the case, I'll probably go back to binging on it for ungodly amounts of time.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »

Yeah I felt a similar thing when I learned that history is frozen whilst playing fort mode ages ago. I just assumed that wars/world gen/history do continue. I went from playing obsessively every hour to not wanting to play at all. Also the sieges that appear at forts are not bound to or derived from the actual populations of goblin sites (which sort of dont exist in current release), so devastating siege after siege doesnt have any effect on the enemy civ (as I understand it) currently, which is also something which I believe will change in future releases.

Since then ive been keeping an eye on development and ive just fancied having a play recently. DF hack lets you switch between adventure mode and fort mode without abandoning a fort, which helps with feeling a bit more connected to the world you play in. Also id not played adventure mode really.

We are lucky to be playing the game in this early alpha stage, is what I tell myself when dwarf fortress disappoints. Theres really nothing like it. Minecraft is great, but is weak compared to dwarf fortress in many ways (in my opinion), even in its current state. Zangband is great, and has a few pluses DF doesnt have. Alternate Reality has some amazing features, but you cant beat a procedurally generated world for replay factor. Settlers is awesome but its best features are well emulated/utilised by DF and DF exceeeds it in many respects. Anno is similar to settlers with regards to comparisons with DF, and neither have the same scale. There are so many things in DF i love that everything I play I just come back to DF.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:56 am »

How about arming everyone with masterwork candy, then abandoning and starting a challenging embark with the same civilization nearby? You get old fortress citizens as migrants, I think equipment carries over...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."