Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with evil biome  (Read 2413 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with evil biome
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »

So... I enjoy embarking in evil region to see if I can survive, and I'm often disappointed with blood rain and nothing else. Recently I embarked in an evil glacier, not knowing what the region effects would be. I (accidentally) discovered with the help of a few dwarfs and livestock that there are zombifying clouds and corpses reanimate. I sealed off the fortress without any more losses, but now don't really know what to do. Currently the situation is stable, but somewhat boring. The fortress is completely isolated, so caravans and migrants will just be turned into thralls or reanimated corpses, and I am trying to think of a system to get rid of these. The easy answer of using cage traps and atom smashing won't work because the thralls are former fortress members who do not set off traps. I can't seem to lure the thralls towards living bait in the first place, and they seem perfectly happy to hang around in the middle of the map. A squad of legendary steel-clad dwarfs wouldn't solve the problem either as the thrall corpses (and any pieces) will just reanimate and multiply. Anybody faced this problem before and come up with a good solution?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:22:41 pm by lukstra »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with evil biome
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »

Hmm if they dont actualy come to you when you open the doors or set out bait not really sure how to lure them into a trap.  however you can still make headway on reanimating bioms you just have to be quick about it.  Bodies and parts dont reanimate instantly most of the time.  kill them and quickly atom smash or dump into a lava pit to dispose of them, sometimes they may reanimate in route so have military stationed along the way to rekill them.  You might have to be a bit more proactive in your baiting if they wont come to you.  Setup a kill area. Assign a single dwarf to a squad and send him out.  Soon as the undead see him take him off duty so he flees, hopefuly leading your undead friends to your kill zone.  However mechanical kill contraptions will prbably take out your bait dwarf so you'll need to use military for the killing.

If you can get them trying to path to your dwarves even if they dont set off normal traps you could try wanderingkid's contraption that he designed for the single pick challange.  You can find it in this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129994.0  You'll have to dig through it to find it but in effect he made a minecart track that is bordered by magma trenches and forces invaders to path through that area.  They walk in get hit by speeding minecarts and knocked into the magma.  Dead pieces get vaporized in the magma, pieces that survived impact have to crawl back out of the trench at the start and run the gauntlet agian and eventualy wont survive.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:51:04 pm »

Well, the reason nobody settles on huskifying reanimating biomes is because they keep huskifying and reanimating everything.

After realizing that the main problem with such biomes is not the huskifying and reanimating itself, but rather having to constantly deal with the same goddamn monsters all the goddamn time with all the goddamn cancellation spam, my darves decided to settle on a border near such biomes.

That way they can take advantage of multiple biomes, while still managing to live without being interrupted all the time.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:01 am »

I think reanimated thrall pieces would behave as standard undead pieces, so killing the thralls is still progress. Well, until the next evil cloud rolls through.

In the past, I have resorted to undermining particularly intransigent thralls. That is to say, I dug out the area underneath them and caused the ground they were standing on to cave in. Once you have the thralls confined underground, caging or atomsmashing becomes much easier. Or they might just die in the cave-in, like mine did. This plan could be kind of suicidal if you have flying zombies on your map.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

I've been trawling the forums, and I think I will try a hybrid system of magma mist and serrated disk weapon traps. Thralls and undead will wander to the kill area, get constantly bathed in magma mist, and step on weapons traps with steel serrated disks which will "kill" the reanimated corpses and hopefully decapitate or bisect the thralls. This could also be combined with a minecart "push-back" system in anything gets through. Maybe this will work? It all depends on if the disk traps can actually kill the thralls. I've never done that before so I'm not sure. This trap would also take a long time to set up (magma is 136 z-levels underground) and that many steel disks take a long time to make.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:53 am »

Well like I said the hard part is geting them into position so they enter your trap in a somewhat controlled maner, particularly if they dont auto path to dwarves for some reason.  Push comes to shove a direct hit from a cavein will kill anything.   A trap that involves a cavein followed by a quick magma bath before it can reanimate is prety much a sure thing even if its a one shot deal.  I'd say cage trap what you can, use webed traps if they are fully trap avoid, and try dumping them down a pit with some magma at the botem then colapse a floor into the pit to first kill them then vaporize the remains with the magma.   Alternitively if you can get them into cages you can just atomsmash the cages instead with them inside as a way to try and get around things being too big to atomsmash.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:11 am »

I don't know if this still works. But you _used_ to be able to trap TRAPAVOID creatures by generating cave-in dust. A trap can be constructed of a floor suspended by a support you collapse via lever. Surround the support with cage traps and wait for the horde to come. Pull the lever and the dust should KO any creatures and force them to be trapped.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »

Don't depend too heavily on weapon traps, they have a chance of jamming on a deathblow and will require a mechanic to come in and clear them before they can fire again.  An upright spear/spike trap is a better choice, it won't jam; it can also take out former fortress members because it doesn't depend on the creature in it to trigger it.

I'm in a similar situation to yours, though my reanimating and husking area is a forest, it has necromancer neighbors, and sadly I have no access to water (lucky you, ice in abundance).  What I'm going to do is make an upright spear/spike trap out of magma-safe materials, submerge it in magma at the bottom of a moderately deep chute (don't want magma mist splashing up and out), set a pit activity zone on the hole and a dump activity zone adjacent to it.  Body parts and captured undead will be thrown in there.  Anything too lively for the magma bath to destroy will be pulverized into submission with spears and spikes so the magma can do its work.

If you want a surer kill with all that ice available, melt some down and use obsidian casting to fashion reusable cave-in traps.  Knocking something around/out with dust is handy, but dropping a natural stone wall directly on it will kill anything except a ghost.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:11 pm »

The Modest Mod has a temperature fix for magma and undead flesh so it will burn when exposed to magma.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »

If you want a surer kill with all that ice available, melt some down and use obsidian casting to fashion reusable cave-in traps.  Knocking something around/out with dust is handy, but dropping a natural stone wall directly on it will kill anything except a ghost.
A constructed floor is just as effective in that reguard.  Actualy if he's willing to play around with magma and ice he could make a freezing trap.  Useing pumps flow magma under the layer of ice so it melts into water, force the enemy to path through the water and then turn off the pumps.  Instant corpcicle.  Could even rig it so they are pathing over the ice and then you turn on the pump for a moment, long enough to melt the ice and dump em in the water then turn it off agian.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »

Do the frozen corpses just disappear? Or do they reappear when the ice is mined out?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:27 pm »

If you are looking for a simple solution, a simple retracting bridge over a pit would do the trick of capturing them.

There could be a second bridge inside the pit to atom-smash them.

It might even be possible to automate the whole thing with pressure plates.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

ZubatZubatZubat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »

Do the frozen corpses just disappear? Or do they reappear when the ice is mined out?

They just disappear.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »

If you are looking for a simple solution, a simple retracting bridge over a pit would do the trick of capturing them.

There could be a second bridge inside the pit to atom-smash them.

It might even be possible to automate the whole thing with pressure plates.

One issue with relying on bridges is sometimes undead can end up too big to atom smash.  This is not helped by the zombification procces makeing some things larger (check out theZombie bacon thread)  I had a very nasty bit of fun when I tried to atomsmash a fairly large water buffalo corpse that had reanimated and my bridge deconstructed.  Also if the target is too big to atomsmash a retracting bridge wont retract till they get off it so that method of containment is out.   While bridges do work in 95% of cases and are quite simple to implement you always want to have a backup option for the few times they fail.  Cavein's, obsidianizing, and freezing on the other hand are the 3 failproof ways to kill anything and everything as long as you can manage to get the target into the killzone when the trap goes off.