Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reducing Stone Count  (Read 918 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Reducing Stone Count
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »

I am currently working on a Dwarven Prison megaproject, and I am currently having FPS problems because of all the damn rocks. It's not much yet, but it will definitely be an issue in the near future once I start excavating the cell blocks. Is there any constructive use I can put these to in mass quantities? If not, what is the best way to dispose of them? I do not have access to magma. My current thoughts are atomsmashing them, but if I can I'd like to keep them if at all possible. Would quantum stockpiling them help?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing Stone Count
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »

Would quantum stockpiling them help?

Tremendously, particularly if you put the QS in a place that's out of the sightline of most of your dwarves.

However, the bigger issue is probably not stone, but open space.  Use traffic designations and restrict and high traffic certain areas.  Use sealed doors to lock off areas that you've dug but aren't ready to use yet.  The inside of the cells, for example, can be permanently restricted, but you might want a 'green mile' put in the center of the lane between the cells.  Cleaning up the pathfinding can be a massive boon.

Modrean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

You can put all the stone to a quantum stockpile near to a craftsdwarf shop. Then, you can set mass production of stone goods for your economy.

Or you can use them as a catapult ammo. Catapults are not so effective against to your enemies. But they are effective for "destroying" stones. Maybe you can use catapults for just train your operators. İn an event of siege, use balista. Operators that trained from catapult affects balista skill as well.

Quantum stockpile always works. Stock all of your stone and if you just want to use them, expand your citadel outwardly. Set an gigantic pasture and enclose them with walls. But that means a lot of planning.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »

There are currently large sections of the area, especially in the entrance, that won't see too much use for awhile. I planned to put bridges in place to seal those off anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, restricting the Dwarves to the walkways intended for the guards would be almost trivial. By design, there are only a few access points from the prisoner's areas to those anyway. As far as stone goes, what counts as out of line of sight? Would it work to give inmates a "prison job" making rock trumpets and other useless baubles from stones QS'd in little 1x2 rooms behind a door?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »

Are there any chokepoints in your fortress, even if they're not being constantly pathed through? I recently dug a proper access ramp instead of having dwarves use the 1x1 exploration shaft as necessary, and FPS improved quite a bit.

Prisoners won't take workshop jobs even if they can access the 'work' tile of the workshop.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:42 pm »

Tremendously, particularly if you put the QS in a place that's out of the sightline of most of your dwarves.

Could you clarify why this makes a difference?  Depending on the answer I may need a major redesign of my workshop area...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:49 pm »

As far as I understand it, any item seen by a dwarf is evaluated by said dwarf to determine if it brings them happiness.  This includes items in stockpiles (artifacts).  Having every passing dwarf look at 500 stones is bound to bring a bit of trouble.

That said, I keep my QS right in the middle of the craftdwarf area, and it typically works fine.  I don't, however, leave it in the dining room.   :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:35:54 pm »

I kind of quantum stockpile the stone in the central stairwell, lol. Doesn't seem to cause any problems though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:58:10 am »

As far as I understand it, any item seen by a dwarf is evaluated by said dwarf to determine if it brings them happiness.  This includes items in stockpiles (artifacts).
Items have to be built before they can be admired (or hated, in the case of certain caged creatures). Sticking something on a stockpile doesn't do anything, which is why a display case mod is needed to make artifact amulets and such anything more than thief bait. Or !!thief bait!!. Will thieves take stuff that's on fire? They can't take anything that's nailed down in the form of a building.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:26:45 pm »

Items have to be built before they can be admired (or hated, in the case of certain caged creatures). Sticking something on a stockpile doesn't do anything, which is why a display case mod is needed to make artifact amulets and such anything more than thief bait. Or !!thief bait!!. Will thieves take stuff that's on fire? They can't take anything that's nailed down in the form of a building.
Okay, that makes sense, and sorry for misleading folks earlier.  Hopefully you can help me understand this better.

Why is the QS so effective at helping keep my FPS from flooring?  Is it because it's just less the stockpiles have to keep trying to determine who gets picked up, or is it because there's less the dwarf has to figure out where to path to (one tile) and thus doesn't have to do flood detection for the closest one?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »

I vaguely recall something about stockpiles constantly seeing if there's something they can create a hauling job for, so the fewer empty stockpile tiles you have the fewer checks there are.