Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: High school, first impressions, pros'n'cons or: "Adios pomidore"  (Read 4846 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: High school, first impressions, pros'n'cons or: "Adios pomidore"
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »

You're all crazy. University here in Estonia is free, at least as long as you take enough courses and study in Estonian.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »

No amount of money is worth learning conversational Estonian.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:11 pm »

No amount of money is worth learning conversational Estonian.
C'mon, its not that hard. All you have to learn is some words like with any other language. And 14 cases that are quite simple to learn, except the length of vowels sometimes starts flip-flopping in the first few cases and sometimes you change a few letters, like with a sheep(lammas, lamba, lammast, lambasse, lambas, ...), and sometimes only the pronounciation changes, and in the example of the sheep, if you go plural, then the cases which had the m now have the b and the ones that had the b have the m. And you gotta learn to speak the letters ü, õ, ä and ö, and not go crazy when you see words like jäääär.

But at least it doesn't have genders like German and Russian and the letters generally mean the actual sound you are supposed to make(I hate English so damn much because of this, writing for example "idea" in Estonian would make it "aidia", not to mention that by reciting the English alphabet, you say both "ouch" and "no" in Estonian).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:09:00 pm by cerapa »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 03:03:16 pm »

It's not so bad in America. If your parents are below the poverty line, our kindly government will set aside funds up to 6% of a tomahawk missile over four years, just for you! Definitely makes that lifetime of borderline malnutrition worth it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »

C'mon, its not that hard. All you have to learn is some words like with any other language. And 14 cases that are quite simple to learn, except the length of vowels sometimes starts flip-flopping in the first few cases and sometimes you throw a consonants in, like with a sheep(lammas, lamba, lammast, lambasse, lambas, ...), and sometimes only the pronounciation changes, and in the example of the sheep, if you go plural, then the cases which had the m now have the b and the ones that had the b have the m. And you gotta learn to speak the letters ü, õ, ä and ö, and not go crazy when you see words like jäääär.

But at least it doesn't have genders like German and Russian and the letters generally mean the actual sound you are supposed to make(I hate English so damn much because of this, writing for example "idea" in Estonian would make it "aidia", not to mention that by reciting the English alphabet, you say both "ouch" and "no" in Estonian).
C'mon, its not that hard. All you have to learn is some words like with any other language. And 14 cases that are quite simple to learn, except the length of vowels sometimes starts flip-flopping in the first few cases and sometimes you throw a consonants in, like with a sheep(lammas, lamba, lammast, lambasse, lambas, ...), and sometimes only the pronounciation changes, and in the example of the sheep, if you go plural, then the cases which had the m now have the b and the ones that had the b have the m. And you gotta learn to speak the letters ü, õ, ä and ö, and not go crazy when you see words like jäääär.
C'mon, its not that hard. All you have to learn is some words like with any other language. And 14 cases that are quite simple to learn, except the length of vowels sometimes starts flip-flopping in the first few cases
14 cases that are quite simple to learn, except the length of vowels sometimes starts flip-flopping in the first few cases
14 cases
14 cases
Your language is evil, cerapa.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »

Estonian is evil. Such cases.

go master russian instead

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 03:35:50 pm »

Hey new high school people, big tip: The PSAT is super important for some reason. No idea why. There's this thing called National Merit Scholar that will earn you lots of scholarship dollars for doing very well on it. Like, had I gotten a few points more on my PSAT, my scholarship money would have doubled for the entirety of my college 4 years. So if you haven't taken the PSAT yet, prep for that shit. It may be stupid but scholarship money is some of the easiest money to make.
Thank you, I really needed the pressure. I wasn't already, painfully aware it's in mid-October. I haven't been studying to improve my score from insufficiently high for weeks now and started panicking. I am also aware someone who got a few points higher on the school-wide sophomore practice test then I received some very, very nice letters from some very nice colleges.

Again, I rely on sheer, dogged work to get me somewhere. 25% of my school goes to a Ivy League, and I'm hoping it's not just because they get A's (I have heard the average score there is 87 or something).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fo, four, fourte, FOURTEEN?!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT MADNESS. Even Latin is trouble, and it has all of half of that. And 2 are barely used.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 06:02:20 pm »

That's like learning spanish twice, fuck that shit

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 08:10:45 pm »

Sorry if I sound so blunt.
You Americans are mad.

I thought Italy was bad, but really...why not try and come abroad to study? For example, taking English courses in Italian universities -which actually have way, way lower costs because they're in English.
If we consider it in the Italy scale -and here I'm talking of the Politechnic of Tourin- the most spent was...
217 euros -first semester tax- Housemates to share the house with (Speaking of Tourin here) 300 euros a month. 'Food plan' is that, if your 'Isee' or 'wealth' is below a certain score, you only pay 1.80 euros per lunch meal and dinner meal. Meaning 3.60 euros a day which roughly end in circa 100 euros a month. For a single semester of six months, that would be...
1800 euros of housing, 600 euros of food and only 217 euros of tuition.
Which results in 2617 euros for a semester, with 217 euros less for the next one (speaking from english course experience)
so...
Yep, you americans are mad.

The English have to pay something absurd like £9000 a year in tuition fees for University, which is over 10 thousand euros.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 10:15:54 pm »

and not go crazy when you see words like jäääär.

Estonians talk like pirates?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:20 am »

Your language is evil, cerapa.
It's a feature of the language group. Hungarian has 18 I think, and Finnish has 15 cases. They take the place of prepositions and the possessive(I don't think it's considered a case in English?) so that's why we have so many.

and not go crazy when you see words like jäääär.

Estonians talk like pirates?
Sadly, no. The word in question here is actually pronounced jää-äär meaning ice edge, or the edge of the ice(and if you pronounce it jäär, then you are talking about a male sheep). Ä is the vowel you hear at the start of "at".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:54:29 am by cerapa »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]