Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guided Minecarts and tracks  (Read 415 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guided Minecarts and tracks
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

Do hauling routes set to guide minecarts actually need tracks?

If so, do they need a circuit track, or single line is enough? I mean, if I do something like:

O========O

Can it go back and forth?

Or do I need something like this?

O========O
|               |
O========O
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guided Minecarts and tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:47 pm »

You can make the track 2 way and just have one trackstop set to guide east, and the other to guide west on whatever departure requirements you wanted so no need for a circular track unless you just want a circular track.

As to the needing tracks at all question.  Ive never played with it myself but I've heard folks talk about trackless minecart systems and how to set them up.  However as I recall the end result of doing that was that the dwarves physicly picked up and hauled the cart to its destination loosing most of the benifit of useing minecarts for transporting items.

Well, actualy there is another application of a trackless system but its not really designed to move items, its more of an automated quantum stockpile.  Stuff is brought to stockpiles near a trackstop by whatever means you choose which is then loaded into the cart and instantly dumped out the other side onto a single tile stockpile.  very useful for a stone stockpile near your masons shop for example, no need for massive rooms of bolders.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:03:44 pm »

IIRC guided minecarts don't need tracks, but I never really use guided ones. My minecart systems are always meant to be pushed. Ride would be nice in some cases, but AFAIK there's no way to force the dwarf to do his next job at the end station...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »

Tracked and guided are preferred.  Trackless are physically carried and takes forever, counting the cart weight and content weights.  Pushed goes faster, but for that you need dual tracks.

A single track guided in both directions is fine.