Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moats and bridges  (Read 906 times)

Gemini

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Moats and bridges
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:06:00 pm »

I've recently been experimenting with an interesting design. I carve away the front layer of rock in the cliff face and fortify it, creating a bunker of sorts, eventually to place siege weapons in. Behind it, I have a moat about three tiles wide. All the bridges spanning the moat should be retractable, but internal ones to access the bunker should be left fine.

I've never actually lived long enough to face such sieges, but I'd like to prepared for when I do.  :)

I've been encountering a couple of problems to this end, though, both pertaining to my moat. The first game I tried this in, I played very seriously, and did very well. I was quite pleased with the results, and in the end of the second year the moat device seemed finished. When I activated it, however, I'm not quite sure what happened... but the water burst through nearly my entire fortress, including the forward bunker where the lever was held, and also flooded the entire world! I was most unhappy with this, and vowed to figure out how to make the moat work before I played again.

The next time, I went straight for constructing the moat, to make sure I could get the process right. I theorized that perhaps the flow of water related to the settings of the doors used to contain it ("Pet passable" used to be "open", perhaps that let the water through?). I set a number of doors to a variety of settings along the flood path, to see which would let water through. However, the water was perfectly contained by all of them. This really confused me, as I made quite sure any holes were perfectly plugged the previous time. A bug?

Regardless, another issue I encountered once I had my now perfectly contained moat: I couldn't bridge it. I had built a number of bridges prior to activating the flood, but they were all buried underneath the water. Further, the game wouldn't let me build new bridges over the now flooded area. How do I do this?

Thanks.  :)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moats and bridges
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »

Use channels for your moat.  Flooded areas will not be blocked by fortifications.

nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Garthor:
<STRONG>Use channels for your moat.  Flooded areas will not be blocked by fortifications.</STRONG>

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: nex ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:16:00 pm »

That is way cool, incidentally.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Zanfib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nex:
<STRONG>

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: nex ]</STRONG>

Can you explain just what is happening here?

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:10:00 am »

I thought fortifications let water through? blah, that sucks, I had it all set up...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zanfib:
<STRONG>

Can you explain just what is happening here?</STRONG>

This is a floodroom.  There are three channels of water, all of them bridged except for within the flood area.  When the lever (offscreen) is pulled, the three floodgates in the upper middle of the first shot will open, causing the whole interior of the floodroom chamber to fill with water, without any water going through the fortifications.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

Obviously your method for getting rid of excess stone must be to build more floodgates!  :D

Zanfib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>

This is a floodroom.  There are three channels of water, all of them bridged except for within the flood area.  When the lever (offscreen) is pulled, the three floodgates in the upper middle of the first shot will open, causing the whole interior of the floodroom chamber to fill with water, without any water going through the fortifications.</STRONG>

Yes, but what is it for? I can't figure out wether it's supposed to be a farm or a defence or what.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

Looks like it was intended to illustrate the example, actually. =)