Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (SOLVED)Insatiable Ghost?  (Read 558 times)

Blargg Loves Biscuits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
(SOLVED)Insatiable Ghost?
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »

I have a problem. That problem is a poltergeist which I am unable to memorialize in a grave or slab as far as I've seen, mainly because there is no body and no option to engrave his name. A note of interest is that I didn't even know he was haunting until I was looking at the "Other" units list and saw undead as his creature type, there was no announcement of him appearing, he was just there.

A bug maybe? The only thing I can think of is that he was possibly a vampire whose fake and real names are still mixed up, do they usually do that?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this and has any tips; he is not a polite poltergeist and is currently smashing up my furniture stockpile, therefore any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:13:58 pm by Blargg Loves Biscuits »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Insatiable Ghost?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »

you'll need runesmith -an utility-
Select the Poltergeist in question from the utility list and kill it away.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »

I've had ghosts wander around some before the message actually pops up.

If you have DFhack, you can either try selecting the unit and do 'tweak clear-missing' or if that doesn't work, do 'tweak clear-ghostly'.

Blargg Loves Biscuits

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:13:34 pm »

I've had ghosts wander around some before the message actually pops up.

If you have DFhack, you can either try selecting the unit and do 'tweak clear-missing' or if that doesn't work, do 'tweak clear-ghostly'.

Ah, that worked perfectly from what I see so far! Thanks a bunch!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SOLVED)Insatiable Ghost?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

I think you don't get any messages about ghosts until the ghost does something visible like topple furniture or harass a dwarf.  You can slab some of them before you ever hear about them, if you happen to notice them before your dwarfs do.

Sometimes caravan guards will come back as ghosts, you can't slab those.  You might be able to inter one in a coffin, if you can collect the body, but I'm none too certain about that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SOLVED)Insatiable Ghost?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »

I think you don't get any messages about ghosts until the ghost does something visible like topple furniture or harass a dwarf.  You can slab some of them before you ever hear about them, if you happen to notice them before your dwarfs do.

Sometimes caravan guards will come back as ghosts, you can't slab those.  You might be able to inter one in a coffin, if you can collect the body, but I'm none too certain about that.

I'm having the OP's issue currently, a macedwarf from a caravan that got burned by a hill titan (a three-eyed maggot) is haunting my dwarves (7 of my dwarves have been haunted a total of 9 times recently, according to the thoughts Dwarf Therapist is showing). The other 3 guards and 2 merchants, if I remember the amounts right, got buried just fine. One haunted me anyway, but he went away after I made him a slab. Also made slabs for everyone else + the titan at the end of that graveyard corridor section. But... yea, I've been wary of using tweak clear-ghostly, since the info for that warns that it might break stuff. Probably should do it though. Or maybe I'll keep the ghost around, just for a bit more FUN... it hasn't killed/harmed anyone *yet*, just spooked some children and peasants and stuff.