Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plz help me with my dehydrated dwarfes...  (Read 617 times)

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plz help me with my dehydrated dwarfes...
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

Hi,

can someone help me with my slowly dying fortress?

I have 38 dwarfes. It's winter and my brook (the only water source) is frozen. Over the half of my dwarfes are thirsty. I have a still and two good brewer. Several barrels are distributed in the fortress and some are empty. And I have a lot of different seeds and allowed them in kitchen to brew.
Now I had to produce alcohol because no water is in range but my brewer say that they havn't any empty barrel. If I produce barrels with my two carpenter then the barrels are used for other things than for the still.

How can I rescue my dwarfes?

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plz help me with my dehydrated dwarfes...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

The barrels must be getting used for food stockpiles.  Either set your food stockpiles to refuse barrels (when you 'q' over a stockpile, you can 'e' and 'r' to change the number of barrels allows), or in the stock'p'ile menu you can "reserve" some barrels, which means it won't use them for stockpiles.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Get your carpenters and woodcutters busy.  You should crank up barrels until your brewer has enough to get started.  Dwarves don't like water.  They want to drink alcohol.  The only time they "need" water is if they are sick, and someone else will bring it to them in a bucket.  

So your next step shuld be to make barrels until you have at least 10 free in your furniture stockpile and then brew yourself silly.  I never feel comfortable until I have at least 25 full alcohol barrels in my food stockpile.  Not including the 4 barrel mini-stockpiles I have scattered aroudn the fortress that feed off the main one.  

Don't forget to use the Z menu to see how much alcohol you really have.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: greggbert ]

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

thank you both very much!

I have set nearly all food stockpile at 0 barrels and my dwarfs seem to manage the brewing and drinking.

My next challenge is the building of a windmill to operate a screw pump to fill my half fortress surrounding "moat".

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

as a safety precaution, next spring dig out a little pond somewhere in your fort and have the dwarves fill it with water...just in case.