Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: RWBY (Web Series)  (Read 5088 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: RWBY (Web Series)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 10:07:45 pm »

We might have to, but I hope the whole military academy party kicks in soon.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »

I just discovered this series, and while I have some issues, most of which have been elaborated here, I've been really enjoying it. More than the episodes themselves I've been pouring over the foreshadowing that's everywhere, in particular the Soundtracks. This is what I think so far:

Spoiler: Shots in the Dark (click to show/hide)

Overall, one thing I like about what they're doing is the emphasis on colors and light. Hopefully they'll continue that as the series progresses.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:52:38 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:04 pm »

Why not just call them by name?
Red = Ruby
White = Weiss
Black = Blake
Yellow = Yang
It's painfully simple.
Spoiler: Response to Orb (click to show/hide)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »

I have a problem remembering Weiss.  :P

Also of note is that Weiss's name means Snow White in German and Yang is a reference to Yin Yang (yang being "bright positive masculine principle").

Spoiler: Response (click to show/hide)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »

Weiss is German for white. Blake is Old English for black. Yang is Chinese for sun/light. Yang's character is also inspired by / alluding to Goldilocks del Cuento de los Tres Osos.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:51 pm »

Seems next week's episode is when things get interesting
It's FEF, not FEOF

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 07:59:21 am »

The next episode is not much but the intro to the fighting. More characters introduced.

Sword guy Jaune looks more incompetent again so much so one has to wonder how he's there at all. He reminds me of Ron Stoppable but more incompetent.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 09:21:44 am »

He can't be that incompetent they let him in, but I think the reason he's there is because his family has history with the academy.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2013, 09:50:16 am »

New episode is up. We see a few moments of awesome by the other people.

Jaune is saved by the girl who threw a spear at him by... throwing a spear at him.   

Weiss and Ruby teams up because Weiss' other option is Jaune who's stuck in a tree.

It ends with the promise of awesome action for the next episode. These 5 min episodes are killing me.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 12:24:35 am »

Finally Monty Oum does something he is good at: not trying to tell stories. Generally everyone but Jaune is portrayed well in combat; not surprising, since he's designed to be the overly-cliche breakout character. Nora in particular seems to be an interesting one, with a similar highly-kinetic style to red's gunscythe.

Meanwhile, in the plot department
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 01:47:05 am »

My problem with the series is the animation detail and some the storyline. Screams cliche with the MC and that evil guy. Also the Poser software, i dunno why they took that route other than to use the prebuilt animations but it looks horrible Blender could have been a better choice. Artwork i don't mind but really could use more shades.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 08:56:03 am »

Just you wait, the crappy plot is going to turn out to be a big false front, with the guy running the school being the real evil mastermind who is busy training up young mages as a vast, distributed army owing personal loyalty to him, with as-yet unknown goals, but probably something relating to Dust. Calling it now.

Oh, who am I kidding?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 09:09:02 am »

Just you wait, the crappy plot is going to turn out to be a big false front, with the guy running the school being the real evil mastermind who is busy training up young mages as a vast, distributed army owing personal loyalty to him, with as-yet unknown goals, but probably something relating to Dust. Calling it now.

Oh, who am I kidding?
This would still be a boring and unoriginal plot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:12 am »

Oh, who am I kidding?
This would still be a boring and unoriginal plot.
But less boring and unoriginal than what they're apparently shooting for. I'm not expecting great plotting from RT and Oum, but something that's a bit more mediocre isn't an unreasonable expectation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20:33 am »

Also the Poser software, i dunno why they took that route other than to use the prebuilt animations but it looks horrible Blender could have been a better choice.
I really agree with this. The worst part is when they use stupidly low-poly stuff which makes them look like they aren't even up to the level of an amateur. Which is like, for nearly everything. The particular scene I remember clearly exemplifying this was the one on the cliff-side about 2 eps back. They show the 2 teachers standing and watching... and give a shot from the back. The lady-teacher's cape thing is blowing in the wind, but instead of giving it a simple cloth-physics mesh (every 3d modelling/animationsuite has these) it has this terrible animation which shows just how low poly it is. The damn thing is made of like 6 triangles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]