Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controllers Thread: Thinking about returning a gamepad (Logitech F710)  (Read 4670 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

So I've been thinking about buying a USB gamepad. I've just got a few too many console port games on my computer that either A) just badly ported to keyboard or B) could really benefit from analog input. I've been thinking about getting one of those Xbox 360 PC controllers (I like Xbox controllers, they feel very comfortable), but the fuckers are expensive. I also might consider a Logitech F310, which comes up a lot, and is a little less expensive- has anyone tried one of those?

Speaking of analog inputs, are there many good games right now to make use of my joystick (old but excellent Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold)? I suppose racing wheels and such also belong in this thread, I have a REALLY old Sidewinder (wheel+pedals) but the drivers for it aren't compatible with windows newer than 98 or something. It would be neat to get a newer racing wheel but I don't know if I have enough games to justify the cost at all, not to mention I'll be in a dorm soon which makes that sort of bulky peripheral a no-go.

So ITT: Recommend a good gamepad, circlejerk about how awesome joysticks are.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:48:16 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controllers Thread: Thinking about buying a gamepad
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:28 pm »

I use my ps3 controller with ds3 tool.

Works like a charm for anything.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »

I just got a wired xbox 360 controller because they're cheap, have embedded drivers in windows 7 and all games naturally support it without effort. I'll probably migrate to the xbox one controller when it goes down a bit in price since it seems like a much better controller. 

My prefered controller will always be the original xbox controller since it was just so massive. I have huge hands and a lot of controllers just feel tiny and awkward to use, the xbox 360 is an alright size but I'd prefer it a little bigger.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »

The Saitek Cyborg Rumble (p3600) has been good to me. It's reconfigurable to be like a xbox or ps controller.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »

I happened to walk by the clearance aisle at Target last year and there was a Logitech gamepad for like ten or fifteen bucks. I'd been considering getting a wireless adapter or a wired 360 controller to play Ys Origins, and wound up impulse-buying it. It was an easy plug'n'play (or if it was more complicated than that, I don't recall), and worked fine for my purposes. I didn't actually know what model it was or whatever, but flipping it around to take a look just now, it is the F310 mentioned in the OP.

I haven't used it all that much, just for Ys, Dark Souls, Skullgirls, and Chronicles of Mystara, but it's worked fine for all of those. It's also taken (more than) a few tumbles and still works just fine so it's reasonably durable. I really like that it's kind of a median between a PS2 and a 360 controller in terms of size; the Dualshock always felt small and awkward to me, and the X-Box controller always felt just a little clunky. My only concern is the D-pad, if that's important to you. There seems to be a lot of love lost for the 360's D-pad, and it's got a similar wobbly design; it is positioned and constructed a bit better, but still wouldn't be my first choice for a D-pad.

I certainly feel I got my money's worth, though if I had to buy it at the price listed on the Logitech website ($25), I might have sprung for something else (more than likely because it'd be dual-use). I guess it also might be worth checking the electronics section at your local Target/Wal-Mart type place next time you're there; I think I've seen marked-down gamepads there since then as well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »

Dualshock controllers ftw. They're nice to hold and basically symmetric, unlike xbox controllers. That and I'm used to them. Sucks that they're so hard to use with computers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »

Me gusta el Logitech F310. It has a mode where you can plug and play with Xbox 360 input, which is supported by many games. Its other mode lets you bind controls to key presses, which works for most other games. It's not quite as comfortable as the Xbox 360 controller IMO but the DirectInput option is convenient - it comes with its own program too. (There are, of course, programs that let you do the same with Xbox 360 controllers.)

Basically, I say go with the F310 if you want something a bit cheaper than the 360 controller. Go with the 360 controller if you really like it.

Note that the F310's sticks are a bit firmer than the 360's. Look up some reviews if you don't know what I mean.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »

I did a bit of research before I bought my gamepad and ultimately ended up going with the logitech 310. I was leaning towards the 360 controller but I often read of people complaining about the D-Pad and one of the biggest reasons I wanted a gamepad was to play platformers like spelunky.

A complaint that is often levelled against it is the deadzones on the analog sticks. I can definitely see this being an issue if you're used to playing with a 360 controller because the difference is noticeable. However once you get used it it doesn't seem as big of an issue (but it does take getting used to). The only other issue I have with it is the triggers, they work fine but you need to press them in more than you'd expect.

Other than that it's been a very good controller for the price point. Any game that has support for 360 controllers has recognised it no problem.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »

Thread, I resurrect thee!

I went right ahead and bought a Logitech F710 wireless controller, since a lot of people in the thread Darkmere linked recommended it. However, as a lot of other people online have found, my F710's signal reception is absolutely abominable. I wonder if maybe that's why it's actually $10 cheaper than the wired F510 on Amazon?

It seems if at any time I do not have A) a direct line of sight and B) am not within three feet of the bluetooth receiver, there feels to be a 200ms or even 300ms or more lag in every controller command. This is even when using the included USB extender to put the receiver in an accessible place- if I so much as move my hands so the controller is under the desk, or get my knees up between the receiver and controller, it gets bad. I'm also pestered by the idea that maybe my controls aren't quite getting to the computer when I'm doing them on the controller even when it looks mostly OK.

Has anyone else with an F710 had this problem? Should I try returning it for another F710? Should I get a different gamepad? Most people seem to be saying that Xbox 360 or PS3 controllers work great in terms of reception. That said, I'm very happy with the controller itself, I like the feel of all the buttons and sticks (location of the Mode button aside) are comfortable and responsive and calibration reveals none of the deadzone complains I've heard from some people about the F710.

I'd love to know if someone's found a fix, but I have seen nothing online so I assume there isn't one. I'm deciding whether to:
-Return the F710 for another, most people say this hasn't helped and it could take a while/costs postage
-Pay a little more money for a 360/PS3 controller that might not feel as nice, but have good reception
-Pay $10 more for the wired F510, and feel really bizarre for doing that- or get a non-rumbling F310 but I hear complaints about the actual controls on those from some people
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controllers Thread: Thinking about returning a gamepad (Logitech F710)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »

Bluetooth is fiddly. Always has been. And the range is very low. The best peripherals that are wireless give you a wired option.