Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garry's Mod - thrusters and disturbing faces  (Read 1222 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Garry's Mod - thrusters and disturbing faces
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

I was surprised to find no threads about this. (or none recent enough to warrant reasonable necroing)

So here it is.
Garry's Mod, or GMod for short, is a totally freeform sandbox using the infamous Source engine by VALVe, known from games like Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source and others.

It has fun physics, but it can be annoying at times (as well all probably know).

If you can grasp it (which shouldn't be hard), there's tons of fun to be had. (and/or !!FUN!!, whatever)

Website.

Also, Team Fortress 2's Itemtest map is surprisingly good to make into player bases not unlike those from role-playing games.

And if I'm not mistaken, the game is on sale as of this post, -75% off (2€), so get it while you still can!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Garry's Mod - thrusters and disturbing faces
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »

You forgot to mention that you basically need HL2 to be able to see any models.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:20 pm »

You forgot to mention that you basically need HL2 to be able to see any models.

I don't have HL2 and yet I kind of can see most models. (most =/= all, but whatever)

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:45:53 pm »

To get the most from Garry's Mod, I recommend owning the Orange Box.
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »

Turns out my 50% off coupon can't be used in conjunction with the sale. I am disappoint.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »

Not sure if the Counter-Strike models are included in the base game now or not. They're used a lot in TTT.

I start up this game every few months. I quickly get bored of it, but I've gotten my money's worth at least. I think it's something about the shapes that turns me off.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

And CS:S apparently, or half the servers you join will have things you can't see.

I don't play GMod anymore, because it requires an absurd amount of space to keep HL2, Episode One, Episode 2, TF2, and CS:S all installed. (And because I've forgotten how to do anything interesting in it)

(TF2 alone takes 12+ GB - that's the only one I have installed right now)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »

And CS:S apparently, or half the servers you join will have things you can't see.

I don't play GMod anymore, because it requires an absurd amount of space to keep HL2, Episode One, Episode 2, TF2, and CS:S all installed. (And because I've forgotten how to do anything interesting in it)

(TF2 alone takes 12+ GB - that's the only one I have installed right now)

Actually, TF2 now only takes half that, thanks to it being converted to SteamPipe in ~June.