Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grave goods disposal.  (Read 757 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
Grave goods disposal.
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

A great philosopher once wrote:  "When it's all over we still have to clear up."

As every map goes on, I seem to end up with odd bits and pieces of clothing lying around all over the place.  Some of this belongs to dead dwarves, some of it belongs to live dwarves.  None of it ever seems to get shifted - not to a tomb, and not to coffers/cabinets/whatever.
Dwarves will move this kit if they need to build something on that precise spot, but that's the only time they do move it.  They won't dump it.  Thieves can occasionally steal these items (huzzah!) if they can get to them.

Does anyone have any good ways of getting rid of this junk?  If you try to build a crushing bridge over it it'll be moved (so perhaps it could be done with a bridge one z-level below, and undermine the object so as to make it fall onto the path of the bridge; if you have the space to build it), directing magma onto it would be a major operation and not really practical... I guess perhaps making some kind of corridor around it and then building walls inside the corridor one at a time would force the dwarves to move it one step at a time along the corridor but that'd be insanely time consuming.  Or maybe mod in more kobold thieves (if that can be done) or rhesus macaques or whatever to get the outside ones.

So, anyone got a good trick?

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Grave goods disposal.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:16:00 am »

Try designating high-traffic areas on top of the clothing.  The excessive stepping-upon should wear them down into oblivion, if they are indeed affected by that.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

I'll give it a go!

*sounds of dwarven muttering*
"What do you mean, the spirit of the fortress commands *every* barrel and bin should be moved to the Trade Depot?  Even the booze?!"

Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by John Johnston:
<STRONG>So, anyone got a good trick?</STRONG>

Build cabinets for the dwarves to store their clothes in?

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

I did mention that.   :p

quote:
not to a tomb, and not to coffers/cabinets/whatever

The dwarves in question (the living ones that is, I'm not sure whether a cabinet can be assigned to a dead dwarf - perhaps by sticking it in their tomb?) have cabinets available.

Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I did mention that.    :p</STRONG>

So you did...  Do they have enough cabinets?  They seem to actually need two or so.

For the tomb, it seems like you can designate the coffin as a tomb beforehand, and put cabinets in it; otherwise, just 'use for burial' doesn't let you put cabinets in.  I've never done this before my current fortress, and somehow I've only had a single dwarf die so far (it's unnatural).  His stuff is littering the fortress, because he had more clothes than would fit in a single cabinet.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

Mmm... I've added some extra cabinets to the tombs I have, and that has cleared up some of the junk, so yes, definitely they seem to need more than one cabinet in their tomb.  There's still some junk that isn't being cleared though, so I'm not sure what is going on with that.  I've had some dwarfs die by falling into rivers whose belongings I've forbidden (not sure whether that would stop other things belonging to the same dwarf from being picked up, although I don't see why it would), and I'm getting the nasty feeling I dismantled a couple of occupied coffins at one point, which in retrospect was probably a stupid thing to do and might be what caused the problem if all the belongings of that dwarf hadn't been moved to the tomb yet.
I tried routing the entire traffic of the fortress over some of the items on the ground for a couple of months but it didn't wear them down unfortunately.   :(
Oh
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:07:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>I tried routing the entire traffic of the fortress over some of the items on the ground for a couple of months but it didn't wear them down unfortunately.    :(</STRONG>

In a recent thread, Toady mentioned there's no code to implement trampling.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

Hi!

The cabinet thingie made me wonder - if a dwarf dies and has stuff in his bed room cabinet, could you dump the cabinet together with the stuff inside to get rid of it?

I usually do big community crypts, so having cabinets in the tombs doesn't seem possible.

Another thought would be causing a cavein under stuff lying outside (inside the fortress it seems pretty dangerous).

In addition, I think that things in water will rot away quite quickly. I think the possessions of the melancholic dwarf who drowned himself in my well in 38a did get to XX state quite quickly - not that it caused any problems for my dwarves to have a corpse at the bottom of their well (^_^;;

Deathworks