Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Surroundings  (Read 819 times)

Jormundyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question about Surroundings
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »

Hi everyone! So, a question about surroundings. Lets say i pick a tropical moist broadleaf forest, and it contains savage surroundings. Will contain ONLY slugmen snailmen tigers and tigermen, or will it contain those, as well as elephants, mandrills, bonobos, chimpanzees etc. I want to have a land a lot like Boatmurdered infact!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Surroundings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »

Not sure if mandrills are broadleaf jungle creatures, but yes, anything that can spawn there has a possibility to show up. It depends on the distribution of the creatures though.

Jormundyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

Thank you for the reply! Thats good to know :D and yes, according to the wiki, mandrills are in tropic moist broadleafs, here http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Forest

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »

If they exist in your game, they should spawn.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:36 pm »

One thing about boatmurderd.

The animals have been toned down a bit since then, or so I heard.

So they won't attack you like you are the sole threat to elephant kind.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »

A notable thing though is that in the latest release things went a bit crazy on the animal people part and the insect part, so it may sometimes seem like there are nothing but bugs and animal people
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:32:21 pm »

A good trick to know what animals you'll see is to hit 'p' to export the world's files when it's done generating. One of the file will be named regionX-world-site-and-pop.txt, the second half of that file lists all the world's animals, then it's just a matter of matching the biomes with what you see there. I frequently use this to make sure my good forests and hills will contain unicorns. Or just re-generate if the world doesn''t contain what I'm looking for. It's also useful to see if the world contains kobolds - it's in the main population on the top part of the file.

If you've already started a fortress, you can get this file by going to the esc menu and exporting an image from the map, it will create the same type of file.
Playing DF on a Mac.