Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broke my forts FPS, how do I fix?  (Read 669 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broke my forts FPS, how do I fix?
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »

For a while during the low FPS hit duing draining the lake, I thought the low FPS (0 at points) was due to a combination of the waterflow and the drain. However, when I had stopped doing all that, the FPS should have gone back up, but it kept hitting against 10 or 11 FPS.

I tried saving, going to main menu, then going back in. It didn't work and it seemed to be trying to force the FPS as close to 0 as it could get.

I read about a possible workaround by switching video mode, but I'm not at home ATM so I haven't tried that. However, any other ways to fix this? Also, can any of the DFhack commands potentially cause problems with FPS? Other than revealing/releasing hell.

Normally the FPS is mid-high 30s (occasionally 20s with really high pathing demands) to 40s, though I have lots of open spaces and haven't used traffic zones, so my fort is probably somewhat inefficient with FPS.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broke my forts FPS, how do I fix?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:42:01 pm »

Okay, I tried that with the movie camera mode and while it helped slightly, the FPS was still sinking down to 10s. Trying a bunch of things to see if I can fix it somehow.

Anybody want to take a look at the save to see what is so f'd up that it's causing extreme lag? Like extreme pressure or something?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:56:03 pm »

Has the lake fully refilled yet? Is it capable of refilling from the sides of the map? Is your drain properly plugged? Are there any other points on the map where you have flowing liquids?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:00:48 am »

I may have accidentially set permaflow while I was messing around with the liquid and it looks like that just might be what happened.

Okay, I have to question just wtf am I doing because I just flooded my fortress and part of the volcano with height 1 water.

To answer reldanes questions:

1. The lake fully refilled to the wall.

2. Yes.

3.. Do floodgates next to the fortifications on the edge of the map count.

4. No. Well, there was the water reactor, but I drained the water out of that and the lag still kept going. The water reactor and pumps alone actually didn't hurt my FPS all that much.

Edit: tried screwing around with removing water and that permaflow, didn't help.

Edit2: Got it. It was the permaflow I think, and some other stuff. Also got some permaflow data in the air, somehow.

Edit3: Definetly the permaflow, gotta be more careful when screwing around with DFhack I guess.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:34:56 am by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:22:40 am »

Anybody want to take a look at the save to see what is so f'd up that it's causing extreme lag? Like extreme pressure or something?

I'm willing to take a look.  I've fought with FPS issues most of my DF-life so I'm relatively familiar with the major causes.  You may just have water-flow issues.  Every block of flow is a massive CPU drain.

However, once you start messing with DFHack settings, all bets are off.  These are best used after saving the embark into a zip for recovery.  Keep in mind DFHack is an extremely well built tool made by (mostly) amateurs guessing and deducing what the code actually looks like, because Toady's asked that we never decompile the code (cough).  Even their best informed effort may be horribly wrong on some small detail that's buried in there somewhere.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:06 am »

Well, what I had done with DFhack is use the liquids GUI to remove some of the water because I was impatient and then later tried to fill in the area to the wall in an attempt to fix the lag, permaflow must have been on without me realizing it would cause problems. Somehow the permaflow extended itself from the top throughout the drain.

The world 1-copy 4 is just the embark after I had fixed the problem that was killing the FPS.

Just a word of warning though, the file is 83mb so it would take a while if you have a slow download rate.
http://sta.sh/download/604887582569383/bugged_out_fps_and_fixed_up_by_smjjames-d6kqtia.zip?token=b31c34ef533019dfedbe3353918bc0eb776e6f25&ts=1378138543

Also, I'm in the proccess of dumping loads of goblin crap that I had accumulated over time without realizing it or doing anything about it.

Actually, I declare 24th Felsite, 277, the beginning of Spring Cleaning in the fort, lol. I'm also dumping lots of barrels and bags.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:26:28 pm by smjjames »