Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invaders not moving  (Read 1783 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invaders not moving
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:28:31 pm »

A siege came, killed three dwarves who were outside, and decided to just sit there. There was a clear path from the outside  to the inside, but they did not come in (and get shredded by my 70+ traps). Even when I sent dwarves to bait them, they stayed where they were. Why is this?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:53:34 am by someone12345 »
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invaders not moving
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 05:35:18 pm »

Siege forces follow learders which some times can get stuck or caught in traps. If the leaders fly them it's worse AFAIK.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »

I think the leader got shot by a marksdwarf who I sent to bait the group.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »

Any archers among them? You could build a platform out to the squads until the dwarves start getting spooked by the goblins, and then build a 10-long bridge starting just out of LOS. Then once it's done you station your marksdwarves at the end of the bridge, and hopefully they'll start taking potshots at the goblins.

You could also hand out crossbows to your masons, and once they catch sight of the goblins they'll shoot for a while before running away.

This won't be efficient -- they might just get bored and leave before you can force them to withdraw.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:57 am »

I made a mistake. The goblin that got shot was not the squad leader but a random goblin. However, even though the squad leader is still alive, they are not moving. I might have to use DFHack just to kill them. I do not know what is wrong with the group.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »

are they on flying mounts? those can have trouble pathing. i think goblin siegers will only try to find a path into your fortress once (on arrival) and if that fails for any reason they'll just sit around until they see something to chase. if they're interrupted by combat, they might not resume pathing to your fortress once their enemy is dead or they lose sight of it.

a couple years back of toady mentioned that he intended to make siegers avoid heavily trapped entrances if prior attacks through them failed. i don't know if that ever made it into the game or not, but this would be the sort of behavior that would be expected if that were the case.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »

Are they sitting on the edge ofthe map, or near the traps?

Because invaders are smart occasionally.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:29:13 pm »

Based on personal observation (meaning that I do not know of any official corroboration): If they have mounts and the mounts do not have legs, they will not be able to come inside.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.