Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traps and water current  (Read 874 times)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
Traps and water current
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »

While doing my mega-project I begin to wonder how traps and water current works together. Are enemies and other creatures pushed past weapon sliced to +paste+? I just want know is there any reason build automatic meat grinder line into my fortress using strong water current...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Traps and water current
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »

I know cage traps work with current, I suspect weapon traps would as well.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:37:58 am »

So, instead of "Oceans of Fun", it is "Oceans of !!FUN!!"?

Bonus if you name your site that.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

Yep, this really needs testing. Strong water current, few... hundreds of traps. Probably starting from menacing spikes at drop point, then many kinds of bladed weapon traps and finally more spikes at other end. Sounds... funny. However question is are these traps now self-cleaning?...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »

I built a demonstration fort to show off a system of water pressure pushing goblins off of a short drop down to a path back to the entrance over upright spikes tied to a lever being pulled repeatedly.

It works great, kills whole sieges quite nicely.  The problem is, any items pushed with a moving liquid are kind of.. put into limbo, so you can't always see them.  It makes clean up a bit of a bother, but not impossible.

The purpose was to demonstrate how you could get goblins to path to their squad leader, and the squad leader to path out, and grind them all up.  But upright spikes are the only trap type that won't jam, so that's something you have to consider in the design.