Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I cancel a 'Give Food' job?  (Read 446 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I cancel a 'Give Food' job?
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:00:22 am »

I have a dwarf in my fortress that keeps attempting to 'Give Food' to a pet that suffered an 'unfortunate accident' involving magma. So said pet no longer exists. But cancellation messages of the form:

'Urist McPetowner, Job title cancels Give Food: Animal Inaccessable.

I'll agree that the animal is inaccessable. It's not only inaccessable, it's non-existant.

Since the dwarf in question has no spouse, nor any friends, I'm seriously tempted to have the dwarf suffer an 'unfortunate accident' just to stop the job cancellation spam.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I cancel a 'Give Food' job?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:00 am »

Since the dwarf in question has no spouse, nor any friends, I'm seriously tempted to have the dwarf suffer an 'unfortunate accident' just to stop the job cancellation spam.

That is likely the best solution.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:14 am »

Hmmm... I'm thinking of the following. A long passageway. About 22 or 23 tiles. A switch at the end of the passageway. The floor of the passageway being 2 1x10 retracting bridges. It should take about 200 ticks or so for the dwarf to walk that length. And just before the bridges, a citizen triggered pressure plate ... connected to both bridges. The switch at the end of the passageway isn't connected to anything at all.

And below? Just a gentle fall of a few Z levels..... into a magma pipe.

"Hey Urist! I have an important and dangerous mission for you. Go throw that lever. The fortress needs you."

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:42:03 am by jcochran »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

Not sure if this belongs on this thread or the facepalm thread...

Made my little corridor, put a profile on the bait switch to only have the annoying dwarf with the dead pet throw it, then put in the order to have it thrown.

Worked like a charm. I then busied myself elsewhere in the fortress.

Just learned something recently.
If all members of a profile die, the profile gets deleted..... And any jobs pending remain ....

That little switch lured quite a few dwarves to their doom.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:35:58 pm »

Hahaha that's brilliant.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »

rofl that would have been entertaining to watch. you made a slow fort suicide switch.   

Personaly I tend to use caveins for my unfortunat accidents.  A few of them really were accidents such as that time I forgot to reset the support on my magma piston befor ordering the botom layer mined back out.  squished 3 miners and a baby with that one.  Still 2 floor tiles suspended over a support and a lever can be built almost anywhere for a 1 shot accident.