Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want bags to be used for milling, but...  (Read 622 times)

extremejon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want bags to be used for milling, but...
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

Hey, new guy here.

I made a Waterwheel attached to a mill, grew some whip vines, and got myself a Miller Immigrant.

The problem is that when I tell him to mill, it cancels it because it doesn't have an empty bag. So I tell the clothier to make a few. Every time he completes one, some idiot grabs it immediantly, throws one seed into it, and tosses it into the Seeds stockpile.

So now I've got like 5 bags that have only one seed in it. Any way to keep them from wasting them like that?

Thanks

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want bags to be used for milling, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

What you might try doing is building, or digging out, a very small room, very close to your clothier. Put a door on it, and inside, put a stockpile for bags. Keep an eye on every dwarf who walks towards it, look at their inventory, see if they are carrying a bag with 1 seed in it. If so, lock the door (forbid it), let them run into it, give up, and walk away. BUT, if they are carrying an empty bag, let them in, and put it down. Then, when your dwarf goes to start his milling job, he should have some empty bags to work with. If they are all tasked, just keep locking the door until they are free again. I know this isn't a very good solution but those seeds are tricky.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

extremejon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

Wow, that really sucks.

Thanks for the advice, though.

EDIT:

Tried you idea, worked like a charm.

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: extremejon ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

You can also order your dwarves to dump items that are in bags by looking into the bag, examining the item in the bag you want dumped, and then press 'd' (if you dont examine the item you want dumped and just press d in the bag menu, the bag will be dumped)

If you've placed a garbage interaction zone over a food stockpile that allows seeds, and dump the seeds onto that stockpile, the seeds will stay there... But doing this for every seed is annoying, so only do it to resolve the 1-seed-bag issue.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

extremejon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

In future versions perhaps you should be able to chose what should be placed in containers.

Foxy111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

Just carry on making bags until your seeds are all neatly organised - this is a good thing in any event, shouldn't take too long, and will save some of  the clever but time-consuming micro-management suggested above

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

This really does stink and makes it hard to make dye or gather sand.  My solution is just to have my clothier spam bags.  They have good resale value and if you're milling you're probably weaving also so it shouldn't be a big deal.  

Also I find that keeping the seed stockpile far away from the glass worshop and miller helps a lot, even if you have to end up hauling cloth.

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

The key is to keep the seed production areas all in one place, and the seed stockpile next to them, so that the closest bag to put that new seed into is always in the seed stockpile.  Seed production occurs in the still, mill, farm workshop, and dining room.

Then, keep the other users and producers of bags far away.

Oh, and periodically cook the seeds.  30 lavish meals will destroy 120 seeds, and produce 30 seed roasts you can sell or eat.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

A quick way to free up bags: Cook seeds.

(In my last game I sorta let farming escalate ... bought tons of cheap leather, set the Leatherworks to make bags on repeat and the Quern to repeat. Half a year later I have like 1400 meals clogging up my storage, no bags, and about 1000 seeds... Solution? Destroy or disable all farms, set the kitchen to cook seeds. Can't wait for the dwarf caravan - export agreement with food at 209% *g*)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

The sad thing is that seed roasts are only 4-stacks of food.  At least that means you can carefully count how many lavish meals you need to wipe out your seed overflow.  Come trade time, I usually sell them off: select 'seeds roast' or 'spawn roast', 'd' for sort by value, up-arrow to get the least-valuable meals.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]