Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: On rivalries between potencies.  (Read 2506 times)

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On rivalries between potencies.
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »

Hasn't anybody suggested that the US keeps a huge military budget just as a way to create work and incentivate economic growth? You know, all that money spent goes somewhere. I'm not saying that it is ethic or even acceptable by any means, but this seems the case.

1. Military spenders get a certain amount of money.

2. If they don't spend at least all of it, the amount of money they get next time around will be cut.

3. They spend all of it. Predictable.

4. Next time around, they get more money to spend, as last time they "didn't have enough".

5. The very definition of insanity.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

Hasn't anybody suggested that the US keeps a huge military budget just as a way to create work and incentivate economic growth? You know, all that money spent goes somewhere. I'm not saying that it is ethic or even acceptable by any means, but this seems the case.
Military Industrial complex. Thanks to the US's system of legal corruption, weapon producers ensure that the army is there to buy their stuff. Link

Also relevant, the Prison Industrial complex. They nearly doubled the prisoners.
Oh, that's what it is, then. Well, thanks for clarifying it. I had heard of it, but I din't know what it was.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »

Thanks for the wall of text! That clarified a lot. Ahh, the game of the powerful. I feel surpassed by the complexity of these international politics, as my country still has internal struggles to even worry about these things.

I'm partially glad to know that we are not AS bad, just pragmatic and selfish assholes, but not crazy ones. Still, I see no point in this paranoia to be the most powerful country, but that could be because where I live. Most of the thrid world is ignored, and, after seeing what happens to those countres who are not ignored, I feel that it's better this way.

The 3rd world countries that are being ignored is either poor in natural resources or already in the sure hands of any of the superpowers.
Well, my country now has a probably bad oil explotation agreement with Chevron, from the USA. So, well probably we are already on his side, but politically we remain neutral.

Hmm, are you from argentina?

Hotfire90

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 04:40:45 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:52:49 pm by Hotfire90 »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:50 pm »

Thanks for the wall of text! That clarified a lot. Ahh, the game of the powerful. I feel surpassed by the complexity of these international politics, as my country still has internal struggles to even worry about these things.

I'm partially glad to know that we are not AS bad, just pragmatic and selfish assholes, but not crazy ones. Still, I see no point in this paranoia to be the most powerful country, but that could be because where I live. Most of the thrid world is ignored, and, after seeing what happens to those countres who are not ignored, I feel that it's better this way.

The 3rd world countries that are being ignored is either poor in natural resources or already in the sure hands of any of the superpowers.
Well, my country now has a probably bad oil explotation agreement with Chevron, from the USA. So, well probably we are already on his side, but politically we remain neutral.

Hmm, are you from argentina?
Yup.

Hotfire90

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:53:08 pm by Hotfire90 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:13 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:53:19 pm by Hotfire90 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:12 am »

Another facet of the motivation for the U.S. (and other major powers) putting so many resources into military development ties back in to realist ideology, the idea that the first, foremost, and only goal of a nation is its own survival, and that the survival of a state stems from its power. That's one of the mainstream lines of political thought in the international arena, and there's a clear rational connection between military force, power, and the survival of the state as an institution, even if we don't agree that the idea is correct. Mix that in with the plentiful remnants of Cold War era thought on foreign policy and proxy wars, a healthy concern among the major world powers for the status of nations with key resources (be they material, geographic, or something else entirely), and it isn't hard to see why this sort of thing happens.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 10:37:49 am »

Us currency is back to stable now. It's used by many smaller countries, which helps keep inflation down as money finds it's way out of the country faster.

Plus petrodollar.

We got stable money, and even with the financial crisis it's still more stable than most.

The way I see it, Israel is Usa's biggest forward military base.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 10:59:25 am »

Us currency is back to stable now. It's used by many smaller countries, which helps keep inflation down as money finds it's way out of the country faster.

Plus petrodollar.

We got stable money, and even with the financial crisis it's still more stable than most.

The way I see it, Israel is Usa's biggest forward military base.

Stable, but the value of the US dollar as compared to the 90s is about .61 percent of its value.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »

ERHMAGAHD WE'RE IN DEBT!

PRINT MOAR MONEHS!

GREAT IDEA BRAH!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:31 pm »

Us currency is back to stable now. It's used by many smaller countries, which helps keep inflation down as money finds it's way out of the country faster.Plus petrodollar.We got stable money, and even with the financial crisis it's still more stable than most.The way I see it, Israel is Usa's biggest forward military base.
They sure don't listen then. I mean, they can act with more impunity then the US but that applies to us as well. There's a bit more give-and-take then a "Ally we use to attack through". For one the Israel Lobby.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 2 [3]