Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What if you build a fortress In a giant deep hole....  (Read 2014 times)

natsumehack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What if you build a fortress In a giant deep hole....
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:39:22 am »

And the dwarfs inside this giant deep hole, only dig around, never up.

Would any sieges that come just get to the edge of the hole fall in Spat, or would all just stand at the edge and stare down like it was a petting zoo? 

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: What if you build a fortress In a giant deep hole....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:30 am »

They'll staaaare and maybe shoot with crossbows if the dwarves are close enough. I've done those kind of things by accident :D

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:14:11 am »

Or fly in on bats.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:27 am »

If the hole is deep enough you might be safe from their arrows/bolts. Flying mounts will be an issue though.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:41:56 am »

If the hole is deep enough you might be safe from their arrows/bolts. Flying mounts will be an issue though.

I think that might need to be around 20, 25 levels down to be absolute, angles would make it difficult with more than 10 z though. And flying mounts doesn't seem to path if there're no land access, something about buggy pathfinding otherwise. Mounts do wanders around, so unlucky will do it :D

natsumehack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:27:05 pm »

So what if we put a bunch of traps all around the edge of the hole, so when the they come, they be cut, or dodge, and fall to there deaths. 

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

That would work, but be careful, falling goblins would be hazardous to your dwarves.  Also, if you want caravans, the trade depot would have to be at the top, or you would need a 3 wide, trap free, way down.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »

So what if we put a bunch of traps all around the edge of the hole, so when the they come, they be cut, or dodge, and fall to there deaths.
Surely one of your dwarves will cushion their fall.

Better idea. Dig a 1-tile wide channel in a circle around the hole, remove all ramps (except for one for your dwarves to escape the "moat"). The moat makes it so that invaders cannot stand on the edge.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:42 pm »

You can do this easily just by channeling trenches around your map. Earliest surface fortifications I use are just dirt berms dug so there's a 1 deep pit in front of a 1 high wall. As long as there's no path to your entrance they can't get in.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:54 am »

While in principle it sounds good, think of all the free loot you're giving up from the sieges just letting them park out there. Put a 1 wide interior ledge along edge of the pit that leads down to the entrance where you park a dog on the outside (or animal of your choice tethered) and put traps along the edge. Just set up the entrance so you can drop anything that actually makes it down into a pit with stairs back up to the top or magma. Either works. Then you get loot as they either die in traps or fall off dodging.

natsumehack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »

That would work, but be careful, falling goblins would be hazardous to your dwarves.  Also, if you want caravans, the trade depot would have to be at the top, or you would need a 3 wide, trap free, way down.

What if  I build a ramps all the way round the inside of the hole, so any falling goblins will hit it, and hopefully the reminds will hit it, and splatter like paint, decorating the walls and floors around the ramps.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »

What would you do with such a fort?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 03:27:34 am »

Have a floating platform in the middle connected to bridges with a depot on it.
When the caravans cross the bridges raise them so the caravans drop down into a "collection" area.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:17 am »

i dont no seams like a hole lot of trouble...