Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few general questions about bridges, evil clouds, and time passage.  (Read 286 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey there. So I've been wondering for a while, and haven't been able to properly experiment (haven't had much game time in a while)
Bridges as shutters to stop evil clouds and such?
I know I can use them to protect my dorfs from rain and such, but if theres a bridge set over the top of an open space so the bridge acts as the ceiling, will that prevent evil clouds from getting in? Same with will a lifted bridge block the cloud from getting in through fortifications adjacent to the lifted bridge?

Basically, I had a lot of fun in a fort I've been doing, when a nice cloud came through and gassed 4 of my dorfs, and an entire human caravan because I didnt realize that a couple fortified parts of the wall were going to let it straight through to my trade depot. (the fortifications have been there so a pair of ballista could overlook the entryway to try and take down all the undead bodyparts out in the field)

2. So, I was fairly certain that I had settled that particular fort in a savage area near to a tower and evil biomes because I wanted to see what fun could be had with towers, however I wasn't in the evil biome itself. So... the forts like 8 years old, did the biome I'm in change over time, or or am I just tripping and 3 weeks ago settled in the evil area?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few general questions about bridges, evil clouds, and time passage.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

well raised bridges act like walls so if a wall would stop it so will a raised bridge (asside from HFS able to destroy bridges unless you add a moat)  I'm prety sure the bridge ceiling will as well but I've never tested that on evil clouds, if in doubt build a real floor.   Be aware however that fortifications are not sealed from the top.  If you just raise the bridge and there's no floor/wall on top of the fortifications the cloud may just go up and over.

Its possible there are several bioms on your embark and the first one on the list was not evil but the rest were.  in that case you could end up with a site that looks like untamed wilds at first blush but is actually 1/4 untamed wilds and 3/4 terrifying. You have to use the F keys to see what the bioms past the first one is at the embark screen. As far as I'm aware bioms cant change once embarked short of modding shinanigains.  check the edges of your embark and see if there are any non evil plants.