Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Questions! (Yay..)  (Read 787 times)

Sharpscopes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions! (Yay..)
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »

Hey all i've had DF for a while now finally got the hang of it and i have a few questions (Maybe more but who knows? I do!)

1: My farmers when set to plant crops do not plant many crops. (Maybe one 3x7 but not much else. and its very slow) i have infact flooded the farm area in river-water and tried to place some potash. Tips?

2: One of my dwarfs have made a masterpiece. I cant find it. How do i find it?

3: This game is amazing.

4: Any efficent way's to find ore/gems/whatnot? (Been mining a giant box for a while)

5: Did i mention this games amazing?

6: What would be a good DF Mode startup? (Generally i go for 2 miners 1 woodcutter 1 Carp/Mason/Building Designer 1 gem cutter/get setter/lyemaker/potashmaker and 2 farmers. If thats a good enough set then just say what you prefer!)

Yea thats pretty much it. (Might edit and put some more questions on later)

Also: WIK!

Rokh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions! (Yay..)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »

I'm not sure this the correct subforum... Shouldn't this be under "Gameplay Questions"?
Anyway:

1: Ouch, see the post below.

2: That's difficult. It's not really that important. You could set a stockpile to only receive masterpiece stuff, and set all other stockpiles to receive lower-than-masterpiece stuff (I mean, stuff related to that item).

Edit: Ouch, yes, see the post below.

3: Sure it is.

4: Exploratory mining, find some ideas here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Exploratory_mining
Keep in mind you'll only find some specified ores per map, typically two or three.

5: Sure you did.

6: It all depends on where you embark, and you personal preferences. You'll surely find some ideas if you look for them, either on the wiki, here on the forums, or on the internet.

Edit: Ouch, I'm way too lazy.

Time to go to sleep.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:26:49 pm by Rokh »
This is a husk of corn of husks of corn. It is encrusted with husks of corn. It is made from husks of corn. This object is adorned with hanging husks of corn. On the item there are images of husks of corn in husks of corn.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

1. There are a few things that could be going on here. The first is that they are not set to be planted in that season, the second is that you don't have enough seeds, and third is that you DO have enough seeds, but they're all in the same container so they all get hauled over there to plant in one spot, hauled back to the stockpile, hauled back to plant, hauled back to the stockpile...

2. They are marked with a symbol like a sun when you mouse over it with "k." There is no way to jump straight to a masterpiece like there is for artifacts.

3. Glad to see new people getting into this game, wishing you all the fun you can handle, give or take a few !!Urists!!.

4. Many players carve out exploratory tunnels on multiple z-levels. This has the added bonus of not yielding a metric shit ton of rocks. Other methods include digging a bunch of vertical shafts, or finding the caverns and looking for exposed ore there.

5. Yes, yes it is.

6. This is basically what I do, except instead of two farmers I get one farmer and a dedicated engraver. I also tend to separate the mason and carpenter/woodcutter, and give the former building design. It's all up to personal preference though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:43:08 pm »

1: Have a dedicated farmer. Enable Farming (Fields), Food Hauling and no other labors. Also make a small seed stockpile (1 or 2 tiles per type of crop you eventually plan on growing) near your farms and set to 0 barrows. Finally set up an even smaller no-barrow seed stockpile (2 or 3 tiles). Have the main seed pile accept from links only and have it set to take from the 2nd stockpile. That will pretty much eliminate the problem with seeds not being available due to Urist McDolt carrying off an entire barrow or bag of seeds to pick up a single plump helmet spawn in the dinning room.

2: Go to your stock screen, hit tab, then scroll down the list looking for the hollow star symbol indicating a masterpiece.

3:Yup.

4: Exploratory mining. Someone else pointed to a good resource earlier.

5: I believe you might have given me a hint.

6: That's entirely up to you. Lots of ways of skinning that cat. My own embark consists of 7 unskilled dwarves loaded up with an anvil, 10 copper ore, 10 tin ore, and enough wood & coal to start smelting and forging tools. Then I get a breeding pair of cats, dogs, pigs, and sheep. Finally, the rest of the points are spent on food & booze. Channel the edge and construct a "welcome center" for unfriendly visitors that experience has shown pretty much handles the first couple of sieges without a problem even with no military.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:09 pm »

1: My farmers when set to plant crops do not plant many crops. (Maybe one 3x7 but not much else. and its very slow) i have infact flooded the farm area in river-water and tried to place some potash. Tips?
Use smaller plots or don't use potash. Dwarves will place as much fertiliser as they need before planting anything, and that takes time that could be used for growing. Plots of size 4n-1 are most efficient for potash use, with a three-tile plot requiring only one bar of potash and thus getting planted very quickly.

Once you're ready for planting, dwarves can be rather slow about getting anything in the ground. I've watched a farmer plant one seed, walk to the meeting area and hang about for a bit, and only then get the red '?' and go plant something else. Early on, even if you have a skilled planter, it may be worth setting a couple of spare dwarves to just get the plots filled. But usually, those spare dwarves would be better off gathering plants.

2: One of my dwarfs have made a masterpiece. I cant find it. How do i find it?
Make sure you have a bookkeeper who has an office to work in, and use the nobles screen to set the accuracy to 'high' ('highest' ties up the dwarf too long for my tastes). Give them a little time to get everything counted, and then go to the stocks screen. Navigate to the category of the masterpiece item produced, and press Tab. This will expand the whole list, and then you can look for the individual item.

Alternatively, ignore it. Dwarves can get a bad thought from lost masterpieces, but once they've produced a couple of dozen the loss of one won't bother them. If the masterpiece in question came from a low-skilled dwarf, you might want to put it somewhere it can't be stolen or destroyed. Low-skill dwarves rarely produce masterpieces even with major help from personality and preferences.

3: This game is amazing.
That's a statement. Also, correct.

4: Any efficent way's to find ore/gems/whatnot? (Been mining a giant box for a while)
The site you play on is divided into a number of 48x48 tiles. Digging a 1x1 staircase down the middle of one of these 48x48 areas will hit any large clusters, and has a fair chance of hitting a vein. Gems and other small clusters are scattered around randomly.

5: Did i mention this games amazing?
Yes.

6: What would be a good DF Mode startup? (Generally i go for 2 miners 1 woodcutter 1 Carp/Mason/Building Designer 1 gem cutter/get setter/lyemaker/potashmaker and 2 farmers. If thats a good enough set then just say what you prefer!)
If you're on a friendly site with lots of trees and plants and water and not much danger you can bring seven peasants, an anvil, and a copper bar.

I like to bring a skilled weaponsmith / armoursmith plus a dwarf with some Diagnostician skill, because you can't guarantee those will turn up in a migrant wave. Professions that produce no-quality items are something I leave out of the embark unless I'm bringing lots of raw materials for that product. For example, if I had a civ with access to coal, iron ore, and flux, I'd bring a skilled furnace operator to get all that material processed into steel ASAP. Gem cutting and setting is a luxury profession -- you won't get that many gems naturally, and the infrastructure you need to make a steady supply of raw green glass (or better) will provide the materials for a glassmaker, who can make furniture and trap components as well as craft items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sharpscopes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:53:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply's (So fast!)

Also yes i think i did post this is the wrong forum. If at all possible can someone move it? :P

And: Going to try to post a few pics of my current fortress (How do i post pics?)

Edit: I may or may not have accidently flooded my fortress....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:56:37 pm by Sharpscopes »