Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broker never visited trade depot  (Read 631 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broker never visited trade depot
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »

New player here so please let me know what I did wrong...

I assigned a dwarf to be my broker using the nobles screen, he has the approprite skill (appraise/organizer/negotiator etc)
Using dwarf therapst, I cancel ALLLL his other labors, hauling cleaning everything.
The guy still dicks around hauling things and completely ignores my first caravan, causing them to leave without letting me trade anything. I even moved goods to my depot.

What did I do wrong? He wasn't eating/drinking/sleeping, I checked the U- units tab and it said he was 'conducting meeting' but he never actually showed up to the depot so I couldn't click the trade button.

What gives?

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broker never visited trade depot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:41:34 pm »

Use [q] to set B[r]oker Required at Depot.

But then, I prefer deconstructing the trade depot when they finish unloading.  ;D

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:36:23 am »

They were also your expedition leader?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53:09 am »

"Conduct Meeting" is something that your expedition leader / mayor does when (s)he is speaking with the outpost liason (who only comes with the dwarven caravan). Speaking with the liason can go on for months. Therefore, your broker and your leader/mayor should never be the same dwarf.

Being appointed to a noble (baron/ess) will have a dwarf consider himself to be "above" most forms of work, which they consider menial. Haggling at the trade depot is one of those jobs. Therefore your broker and your noble should never be the same dwarf.

Quick solution: Go to your Trade Depot and set it to "anyone can trade." The nearest available dwarf will come and handle the transaction, whether they know what they're doing or not.
Better solution: Go to the [n]obles screen and [r]eplace your broker. The game will suggest replacements, with the most capable dwarves at the top.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:09:52 am »

If you disable Urist's labours, he will still try to single-mindedly complete his current job. Even if that involves hauling a stone boulder 100s of tiles. Well in that case he'll probably get thirsty eventually and abandon the job. You could try to forbid whatever he's carrying, and then un-forbid it after he drops it. Urist will also insist on hauling anything he ends up holding, even if no hauling is enabled. Things such as barrels after drinking, weapons after being dismissed from the military.

The best quick fix is probably to enable "anyone can trade" on the depot menu.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:42 am »

Did you request him at the Depot?