Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moonstone door  (Read 1322 times)

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moonstone door
« on: April 17, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

One of my noble asked for a moonstone door in his dining room. Can I even DO that ? I mean, I made something like one hundred doors, with some moonstone lying around the masons's worshop, but that %!¤$£ always picks up something else.
So here's my question : is it possible to make a piece of furniture, like a door, out of light stone ?

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moonstone door
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

I don't think it's possible to choose the exact material for the door to be made of. However you could always check if you have a moonstone door used somewhere else in your fortress.

Slightly offtopic:

What about including a "Fix this Demand/mandate" button in the noble screen? The  dwarves would create whatever item(s) the noble requires (if possible) and notify you when it/they are finished. Personally I just keep forgetting the demands and mandates until it's too late to save my dwarves from a beating.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

Yes, you have to set the door to be light stone though. Do you have the manager? You should do, if you have nobles. Press U, then M. This should bring up the managers screen. Press q, I think, to add a new order, and type in light stone door. Press enter, select about 5 to be built. Hey presto! You workshop will have orders to build light stone doors. You'll get a message when they're all built, try building a door and look see if you have any made of moonstone.

If you've not got a manager somehow (he's died since arriving or something) you can select to build with light stone from the workshop itself. Select it, go add a new order but before you press enter on door look at the bottom - it should have options to change the material between regular light and dark stone. Just select light stone.
Take note of the manager screen even if you do use the workshop route - it really is an excellent way of setting up work for your dwarves, because they can't cancel all the jobs you just spent five minutes setting up when they run out of wood or bones.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

quote:
So here's my question : is it possible to make a piece of furniture, like a door, out of light stone ?

There's a toggle at the bottom of the masons workshop that says 'use light stone' (o) and 'use dark stone.' (m) Clicking one of these will make it so that you can make things out of light/dark stone - which is what you're looking for.

To actually get a moonstone door, you'll probably want to set up a custom stockpile that accepts only moonstone right next to the mason's workshop, so that he'll be sure to use that kind of light stone.

edit: Bah, beaten by 3 minutes. That'll show me for looking up what the keys were to toggle light/dark production.

[ April 17, 2007: Message edited by: AlStar ]

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

Well, thank you everybody !
I don't use the manager much, so I didn't knew it was possible to be so specific with it.
And I also didn't knew that option with the mason's workshop.
Thaks again !

Edit : just for the record, as soon as my mason finished the door (at last !), guess what happened...
"Fath Ducimlegon, Captain of the Guard has forgotten a demand."
I hate you nobles, I hate you !
I'm gonna put it in his dining room anyway !^^

[ April 17, 2007: Message edited by: Narushima ]

ICMB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

The way I'd have done this is make a single stone stockpile near the mason's workshop, customize it to only allow moonstone, and then set a take order to that stockpile from a large stone stockpile.

In theory the mason would go to the nearest stockpile with the right type and use it, right?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

Yes, that's always worked for me.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

I also did that, but as the workshop was set on "use rock", it was useless. My mason passed over moonstone a tousand times, just to pick up the dull pumice just behind it.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

Whenever I build a mason's shop, I set up two stockpiles next to it, one that only accepts marble and moonstone and another that takes jet and onyx (I make a lot of white stone and dark stone bridges).

I always queue up one plain rock block first, so the mason doesn't happen to grab limestone or obsidian on his way to the mason's shop. You can never have too many proper surfaces.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ktrey:
<STRONG>Whenever I build a mason's shop, I set up two stockpiles next to it, one that only accepts marble and moonstone and another that takes jet and onyx (I make a lot of white stone and dark stone bridges).</STRONG>

You know, only the first piece of material in the list has to be of the type you want the whole building to be... In other words, queue up a dark stone block and three rock ones and you have yourself a nice dark 3x5 bridge. Most useful for glass or steel bridges.

(I'm not sure if it qualifies as an exploit or not, I've always imagined it to be, for example, a steel plated bridge. I do wonder how that would work with clear glass thought...)

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Isn't it the last piece of materail that determines the nature of the construction ?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

No, its definitely the first one.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

Wow!

1 gold bar and 100 rock blocks = yellow brick road?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 02:17:00 am »

No; each road building is limited to 10 tiles in either direction. You can make a 10x10 piece of road with only 1 gold bar, though.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

i went through a stage of only building bridges out of either silver or platinum at one point, you need so many more bars for that
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...