Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accessible Depot Bypassed  (Read 697 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Accessible Depot Bypassed
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:12:09 pm »

So, my depot has an accessible path (confirmed via D view) to one spot on the edge of the map, but every Autumn when the dwarven caravan arrives I am told, "Their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site."

Does the accessibility of the depot to wagons depend entirely on whether it happens to be accessible from the specific point the merchants decide to spawn, or am I missing something? Because it seems to me like either A) the wagons should spawn wherever they can get to the depot from (or, possibly, wherever they can get to it from on the same side of the map as the traders/liason/migrants; but that's the same side I have an accessible path to, so not an actually different option in this instance) and if I have it accessible and they still bypass it then it's a bug, or B) they spawn in a specific place and it really sucks if there happens to be anything blocking the one place and the player doesn't even know what the one place is. I would hope I don't have to do anything truly exploity just to get the wagons to actually accept the one wagon-accessible path there happens to be.

Is there something else I should be doing?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Forker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accessible Depot Bypassed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »

Do you have a trap free 3 tile wide pathway to hte edge?

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »

I recall reading something about sometimes access will only be from a specific edge.  Often something to do with the direction they come from your civilisation or something.

Do you have unaccessable areas?  By this I refer to rivers bissecting your embark, where they would normally arrive from the other side?  Or you have crevasses that do the same?  Maybe you have a ridgetop that you have removed ramp access to?

Go look at the wiki caravan pages - I think there's some good reference there regards this.  Also, try and create depot access to all four map edges and see what happens.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:50:58 pm »

Do you have a trap free 3 tile wide pathway to hte edge?
Yes, it's 3 wide and there are no traps on my map as of yet, and as stated in the OP the D view confirms that there isn't some obstacle I haven't noticed.

I recall reading something about sometimes access will only be from a specific edge.  Often something to do with the direction they come from your civilisation or something.

Do you have unaccessable areas?  By this I refer to rivers bissecting your embark, where they would normally arrive from the other side?  Or you have crevasses that do the same?  Maybe you have a ridgetop that you have removed ramp access to?

Go look at the wiki caravan pages - I think there's some good reference there regards this.  Also, try and create depot access to all four map edges and see what happens.
For what it's worth, this is what I found on the wiki concerning the specific direction thing:
Quote from: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Trading#Caravans
Caravans appear to enter the map from a random direction which does not coincide with the relative direction of the originating civilization, and they may appear from different directions or z-levels each year.
However, with that said, the liason, traders and migrants appear to come from the same side every time so far.

There are rivers blocking off the other three sides. I can theoretically open those up to a depot using bridges and see whether the caravan comes with or without wagons from there or continues coming without wagons on the side with the currently accessible point, but the whole question here for me is whether I can get wagons if there's only a limited edge of map area from which the depot is accessible. I could see the game having the caravan in general come from a certain side, but the fact that they have come from the side from which there is an accessible path to the depot suggests there is more going on than just direction pickiness.

I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »

Its possible for a particular civ to only be able to access an embark side from one direction.  When this happens it is very possible for that side to end up being on the far side of a river and you'll have to bridge it to get caravans in.  Its a somewhat uncommon problem but it can happen.  Try bridgeing the river and see if it resolves itself.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:19:28 pm »

If your embark is bisected by a river that was liquid at the moment of embark, wagons will only arrive from the side of the river that your wagon started on.

This kind of wagon access is not affected by the relative location of your civ.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »

Its possible for a particular civ to only be able to access an embark side from one direction.
As stated before, everything from the civ is coming from the side with the point of access to the depot.

If your embark is bisected by a river that was liquid at the moment of embark, wagons will only arrive from the side of the river that your wagon started on.

This kind of wagon access is not affected by the relative location of your civ.
Hmm, now that's a possibility, depending on the exact logic... What I have is like this:
Code: [Select]
R = big river
r = small river
. = earth
W = embark wagon
D = depot access

.rrrr
.r...
.rW.D
RRRRR
Is it possible the game is only considering one of the rivers and has decided that "the correct side" is the North side alone?

Unless the answer's a sure no, this definitely makes it worth seeing if the wagon will come from the far side of the small river if nothing else (the big river's a little difficult to build across, although I guess I could if I had to)... but by now I've got goblins ambushing me and slaughtering my dwarves, so a test depot for this would be tricky... well, I'll see what I can do.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

Based on that map, the depot access is in the right place. Have you got any screenshots that might be helpful?

You can fake having one entrance by digging a tunnel two levels under the water and having the tunnel emerge at ground level in the area you wanted your original depot access. It's safe to go one level below river or brook water, but the cancellation spam is very annoying.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »

Does the accessibility of the depot to wagons depend entirely on whether it happens to be accessible from the specific point the merchants decide to spawn, or am I missing something?

Yes. If there isn't a clear path from where the merchants spawn, you'll get a message about not access and lose the wagons. If your merchants always spawn from the same spot, then  (b)uilding a cheap paved r(o)ad will ensure you don't have to worry about trees growing and blocking access at the worst time.