Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wezebra nightmare  (Read 1074 times)

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wezebra nightmare
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:05 am »

Hello!

After reading some tutorials i tried my very first gameplay. Everything was fine until i was attacked by a being called "wezebra" (i found nothing about it at the wiki). It killed some horses and cats, attacked one of my dwarfs, trasmuted into a human and walked away.

The wounded dwarf was moved inside the fortress for treatment. Some time after he also muted into a wezebra and left 3 dead and 4 wouded dwarfs. The situation is pretty bad now and i am afraid to have some kind of infestation in the near future.

Can i do something to solve it? Lock the wounded dwarfs until the starve?

Thanks!

P.S.: This game is amazing!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Wezebra nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:46 am »

are you using a graphics pack like ironhand or something? It sometimes causes issues with names and text not displaying properly. What you encountered was a were-zebra, or other were-creature. It goes on a murderous rampage during full moon and turns back to a human or other relatively harmless creature afterwards. Anything sentient (so no cats) that is bitten and survives is then infected and turns into a were creature too the next full moon. You can put infected dwarfs in their own semi seperate fort and give them booze and stuff regularly, set them to constant training. Why? because were creatures heal all wounds when they transform, so it doesn't matter if your dwarf got whole body paralysis after the last goblin attack, after the next full moon (s)he'll be fine. Otherwise, give them unfortunate accidents or somehow cause them to die somewhere alone with no body to be found (behind a wall, a sealed room, whatever), and engrave a slab when they go missing to avoid unhappiness over their death. If you don't do something, you'll have a were infestation that will destroy your fort, eventually (or fast)

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:05:09 am »

Lol... man, i am not a native english speaker and was searching at Google to figure out what is a "wezebra".  :P

So i can have the perfect soldiers or a perfect disaster? Nice! Actually i am too newb to deal with this issue properly.
I will start a new fortress and will come back to this one in the future and try to do some cool stuff.

thanks a lot!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:21 am »

you can put the affected dwarfs in a room and lock the door, never open it anymore, and make the slabes. You need to learn how to make slabs anyway, might as well learn now :p

Basically, as long as they are alone when they die and noone ever finds the bodies, noone will ever become unhappy because a friend or spouse died. The slabs (memorial signs, a bit like headstones at a grave) are to prevent them coming back as ghosts.

Part of the fun of DF is trying to survive stuff like this. Next time you'll do better and meanwhile you get to enjoy chaos and destruction. If that chaos and destruction happen to your enemies instead of your own dwarfs that would have been a bonus.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:08 am »

Do the dwarfy thing and cage them in your dining room. To do this cause a cavein nearby while surrounding them with cage traps. They never starve or dehydrate - they transform before they die and their hunger/thirst count resets. Eventually theyll go mad, and then you pull the lever and release them into the fort, resulting in a crazed werecreature roaming your fort.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:45 am »

The most badass solution would be to let them infect your whole fort, praying that enough of your dwarves survive the were-zebra attacks. When they transform, they won't attack other were-zebras, but livestock, merchants, sacrifices immigrants and other nasties are going to get shred into pieces. I'd estimate that you'd lose at least 80% of your current population in the initial chaos though.
An advanced, less deadly way to do this (a theory, I haven't tested this):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »

Nice ideas...

Unfortunately i forgot to link one lever to a bridge and a minotaur came (just after the second wezebra uprising). Now  my problems are gone and dead... Starting new world  :P.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »

A classic ending :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 03:53:18 am »

you can use the same world as last and just pick a new embark site. Saves the time a new world takes, plus you might get migrants from the other fort, if any survived