Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Injured baby not treated  (Read 285 times)

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured baby not treated
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:10 am »

So my slightly ridiculously incompetent dwarven mother decided to dive into my danger room right as I was setting it off (why do dwarves idle in a doored off dead end instead of the meeting area sometimes anyways?) and while she avoided harm the baby took some pretty serious wounds... and now the mother is just running around doing whatever and ignoring the babies wounds. Is there some way I'm missing to get the baby treated? Chief medical is currently doing "No job" which is very helpful =\

Fun.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injured baby not treated
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:50 am »

You can only wait.

Babies cannot take any jobs at all, and a mother will instantly try to pick up her baby whenever it gets separated from her. In order to be treated, a dwarf must be a solitary unit (i.e. not 'equipped' by its mother) and must take the 'Rest' job. This is only possible once the baby has grown up to a 'dwarven child', by reaching its first birthday. An injured infant will normally instantly go to 'Rest' once it has reached the 'child' age category.

Forcefully separating mother and baby before the birthday will be detrimental, because the baby still won't rest and won't be treated _and_ will not eat, drink or sleep on its own, endangering it further.