Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you force someone to do a particular job?  (Read 588 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
How do you force someone to do a particular job?
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:39:14 am »

I'm just starting a new fortress, and need a furnace operator.
 I have taken an otherwise useless soap maker, and using dwarf therapist given her all the metalsmithing skills including furnace operating, and turned off all her other skills, including hauling and cleaning.
She is sitting in the meeting area doing nothing. I have a wood furnace built with make charcoal set on repeat, and wood available.
What else do I need to do???  Help please   
 (I am about to turn in, and have exited the game for tonight. Should I give her wood hauling?)
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: How do you force someone to do a particular job?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:33 am »

Wood furnace need  wood burner, which's in farming category.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Jobs take a look if you're unsure of what some labors do!

You're doing it right, just the wrong labor setting!

Smelting things need furnacle operator, which is in the metalsmith category, but it's not related to wood burning or wood furnace.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »

Also, don't forget to actually write your labor changes to the dwarves from Therapist, which doesn't update realtime as you change the settings; I think it's the button that looks like a chain or a plug or something... It's been a while, I've been using the equivalent DFHack screen.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:58:54 pm »

Wood furnace need  wood burner, which's in farming category.

<snip>

You're doing it right, just the wrong labor setting!

Smelting things need furnacle operator, which is in the metalsmith category, but it's not related to wood burning or wood furnace.

Ah!!  Thank you :)

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:07:52 pm »

You can set their labors all day long, but they know when a task is critical.  When you assign a really critical task, one that is needed to keep the fort alive and has to happen now, a dwarf will accept the duty, preventing ng other dwarves from doing it, and will then eat, drink, party, sleep it off, get killed by whatever it was the task would have prevented and then haunt the fort upon reclaim.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.