Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: recommend me a game under $10 on steam  (Read 2257 times)

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: recommend me a game under $10 on steam
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 12:11:02 am »

Binding of Isaac and expansion is about $7 or $8 non-sale.

I don't recommend BoI with Rebirth on the fast track to being made.

It's still quite good, though, and I believe that owners of BoI get a fairly big discount on Rebirth.

Some other random suggestions:
  • Magicite (http://store.steampowered.com/app/268750/) is a procedurally generated 2D platformer where you craft all your items. You have to run through the levels before the Scourge shows up and starts chasing you. Craft an axe to chop wood, craft a pick to mine stone, craft armor and magic wands, craft whatever you like! Not at all like Terraria, gameplay's focused on combat and movement. It's early access, but it plays like a complete game as it is.
  • NEO Scavenger (http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/) is a turn-based survival game, also in Early Access. There are story elements that you can find, but it's mostly open world. You have to keep yourself fed, hydrated, and warm, avoiding poisined berries and contaminated water. Camp at night, hopefully with a sleeping bad or makeshift tent, but make sure you don't get ambushed in your sleep. You have skills and weaknesses you can assign that change your stats and abilities, and some modding support has just been added.
If you don't mind the extra effort of trading with Steam traders, then I believe you can get Project Zomboid, Prison Architect, or Starbound for less than $10, if you like sandboxy games. I'm realizing as I type that those are early access too, and now I'm wondering if I actually play any completed games. In any case, I'll come back with more recommendations if you tell me what genres you like.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 05:34:32 am »

If you're into RPGs, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 are 66% off for another 6 hours or so and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is currently 75% off. All great games, the last two especially with their respective fan-patches.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 07:59:09 am »

AVOID Quake and Quake 2. The Steam versions of both have no music, and the only fix is to have the original CD or a .iso loaded.
I'm too used to playing them without music, plus I usually had other music playing anyway (nothing like ravaging hellspawn to some tropical tunes and ska music; back when I had the Oolooloo soundtrack by The Pietasters, every level had a different song on the CD playing. It was certainly entertaining.). I would imagine my marine has an mp3 player on him or something (been like this since long ago when I had an original copy).

Anyhow, within the forums, someone had the original CDs and have done us the service of providing the tracks and a How-to on how to install it all, seeing as the audio formatting's all borked to hell and back with the soundtracks. It's a bit of a workaround, like the graphical issues with Crimson Skies (also a fixer somewhere in the webs; Max Payne 1 & 2 suffered a similar fate). If anything, it's more old formats incompatible with current formats that's the main issue. The games are still fun despite the music being non-functional, and from experience, get it anyway, and install the workaround if you can find it or install it (influx of traffic to the fix may make things a tad challenging, so find a low-traffic time to get it).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:16:46 am by Itnetlolor »

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »

I ended up buying FTL because I have wanted it for a long time, but learning that KOTOR 1 and 2 were so cheap makes me wish i had bought them instead haha.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »

A classic gem is on weeklong sale right now: You Don't Know Jack!

It's a gameshow on your computer where you can screw your friends... over.
Pages: 1 [2]