Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing a fort with children only  (Read 571 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing a fort with children only
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »

Right. I know this will have been answered before but I really cant find the answer. So I apologise for that. Ive tried to put the answer together from the wiki and various sources and I have failed.

My question is, should my fort be having babies with a population of 41 (stable with no migrants for years) and a population cap of 40, with a child cap of 60:100, being I assume 60 max or 100 percent of fort population (so 41).

Ive run it for a year (and it continues to run now) with 0 babies so far. Im hoping I dont have to up the normal population cap to allow new borns because I dont want any more migrants ?

The rationale for this most recent fort of mine has been to have a self sustaining population with regard to personnel. I want to keep some blood(marital) lines for the sake of managing a monarch (and his ensuing progeny) I hope to see in the future, as well as the mayor and baron, with those two, mostly being so I can control the mandates I have to work with.

I figure with my 15 married couples, I should be able to get 15-30, or 30-60 dwarves all of a marriageable age to ensure my chances of being able to continue the mayoral and baronial lines.

I have the latest LNP/DF hack with the growth fix applied, which, when I learned of the bug, horrified me and prompted the abandonment of my previous, less well married and far more bloated fort.

My fort currently sports 4 air locked trade depots (causing me quite a few bugged(*) caravans, including the expected issue of two carts meeting head on, occasional SINGLE wagon freezing in the middle of nowhere and 1 instance of a caravan refusing to trade with seemingly every merchant present but not not so according to the depot readout) which sometimes works very well.

I have 4 danger rooms and 2 of them are surrounded by water for intended swimming practice (which is slow but is working - a new one for me)

This fort I have also built love shacks (underground) large bedrooms, which contain 2 beds, food and drink stockpiles tables chairs and burrows, which has facilitated the marrying of every female in my fort.

I tried to make a swimming pool blocking all my bedrooms from the rest of the fort but that didnt work, they refused to path through 4 5 and 6 water (definitely no 7s) to and from the bedrooms, so that was a failure and required me to build a floor, which I might still be able to rig to knock people into the water to and from bedrooms, once ive fully armoured all the dwarves. Ive got approx 160 sets of full steel armour and have nearly finished danger rooming the last of my citizens, so they can wear full steel coverage+shield and work normally(ish).

The plan is also to use only male dwarves for the military recruits as ive had issues with dead babies in the hands of militarised females in the past, something im looking to "manage out" if I can.

My initial embark I picked 3 teachers, 1 had spear, 1 axe and 1 shield I think, (might have been armour user) and I got these 3 into a squad ASAP after striking the earth. (they are all male) and I have added the 4th male from the starting 7 to the squad as a hammer dwarf. They are now all legendary armour shield and weapon(respectively) users and they are approximately lvl 10 teachers and lvl 8 students across the board.

I HOPE that when I finally get me boys and get em all grown up (ive modded the age for children to adult to 6, sort of cheating I know but cheating I can live with and that I feel is at least partially justifiable) that these 4 teachers will be able to do a fast/good job training largeish squads of squires.

Also im very tightly controlling the artifacts I create, training all my dwarves in a hand picked (and cross referenced with preferences) "highest moodable skill" armour/weapon/black smith/bowyer and my population has been 41 for years (5+) with 29 of the 41 having had a mood. So these bloody children need to appear NOW and grow fast (here I am happy with the adult 6 thing) if I dont want to end up with a bunch of skilled craft children. Here I may even cheat and use splinterz therapist to get 'me' children lvl 1 in armour/weapon/black smith/bowyer.

Anyways thanks for reading, hope that wont be regarded as uninteresting misplaced and unwated spam.

I hope someone can advise on my desires for parenthood (without unwanted bloody migrants!)

Cheers

EDITED for spelling and grammar

also

The 3 females from the start 7 were a hand picked and repeatedly reembarked to achieve no negative attributes for a bookkeeper/broker/expedition leader/mayor set of 3, so everything is incredibly neat and tidy, and as efficient as I could make it from the get go.

1 last edit
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:13:12 pm by sirdvae79 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Growing a fort with children only
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »

no clue what is wrong, you should get children if the cap for children is as you say it is. I usually have babies popping out by the third year from the first year migrant married couples. I'd say that if you don't have any babies by year 5, it's getting weird. Note that some circumstances can cause a pregnancy to abort, though I don't think that is what is happening. Maybe an idea for the future, that a CMD can tell you if a female is pregnant in the medical screen
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

Cheers for the reply.

And sorry I dont think i was clear enough despite writing too much. Ive literally just got the last of the females married and its run for about a year I think, possibly a little less as I do save scum for moods.

Hopefully then I should be seeng some babies soon. Ive got it running now so I should be able to crank out a few years in the next hour or two so ill keep my fingers crossed.

I just hoped I didnt have to up the normal pop cap and it sounds like I dont.

Cheers

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »

Did you re-start the game after setting the baby_child_cap? Afaik, those settings are only consulted upon program start. And those 41 dwarfs are adults, right? The percentage rating in the child cap (according to the comments) is the ratio compared to the fort's _adult_ population - otherwise, settings of more than 100% would be completely pointless. At a 100% child quota, childbirth should stop temporarily once you're up to 41 children, and new births should only be possible once children died or grew up.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:23 pm »

hey Larix thanks also for the reply. I do restart the program after changing a pop cap yes.

Those 41 are all adults yes. I figure 100 percent on the second number will give me a max possible child count of 41 yes. I did have it set to 200 during abit of testing and it seemed to make no difference and I figured there should be no difference between 100 and 200 so i set it back to 100.

I do also use DF hack, and the fix/population-cap, which allegedly informs the parent dwarf civ of my current pop cap immediately, although maybe this doesnt work with the children.

Anyway Ive just had my first baby born so I was worrying about nothing. Just seemed like a long time without a birth compared to the crazy baby popping ive experienced in the past.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:50 am »

hey Larix thanks also for the reply. I do restart the program after changing a pop cap yes.

Those 41 are all adults yes. I figure 100 percent on the second number will give me a max possible child count of 41 yes. I did have it set to 200 during abit of testing and it seemed to make no difference and I figured there should be no difference between 100 and 200 so i set it back to 100.

I do also use DF hack, and the fix/population-cap, which allegedly informs the parent dwarf civ of my current pop cap immediately, although maybe this doesnt work with the children.

Anyway Ive just had my first baby born so I was worrying about nothing. Just seemed like a long time without a birth compared to the crazy baby popping ive experienced in the past.

It takes around 9 months to a year for pregnancy to come to term. It also need dwarves to be idle, both of the married couples, for a bit before they start a-sporing. Dwarves usually only give birth to one baby at a time so it can take a while to hit the caps if it's high.

Pop cap only affect migrant, so you're right in setting it low, baby/child absolute cap seem to act a bit oddly but the percentage part works properly at least.

Best of luck to native raised population :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:35 am »

I usually did something similar, though with about 60 dwarfs and then only natural growth. The fort ended with 170 something. It ended because of a new version coming out with incompatible save game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:47 pm »

Yeah I think maybe the delay I experienced was maybe the initial gestation period. My 15 couples all have at least 2 children now and im just a few dwarves off the cap for children now, so im very happy.

In my limited experience thus far it doesnt seem like they need to be idle, maybe they only need to be idle briefly ?

Just a few more years now and theyll start being militarised!

Does anyone know of a relatively easy scheme for naming dwarves with clan names/shared familial surnames ?

I dont get why dwarves have 2 names either. As if I dont do enough crossreferencing in multiple screens.

Cheers