Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depot access question  (Read 802 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Depot access question
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:46:00 am »

The Depot access finder tells me that my depot is accessible, but I can see it's only to one edge of the map. Is that ok? If I miss my first caravan were all dead.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: cephalo ]

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Depot access question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:47:00 am »

It'll be fine.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

Ok, that brings up another question. Because my caravans can only come from one direction, they will be ten times easier to defend. On a normal map, with access to all sides, can I actually block access to all but a small corridor to the map edge of my choosing so that I can defend my caravans?

My latest forts:

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cephalo:
<STRONG>Ok, that brings up another question. Because my caravans can only come from one direction, they will be ten times easier to defend. On a normal map, with access to all sides, can I actually block access to all but a small corridor to the map edge of my choosing so that I can defend my caravans?</STRONG>

It might be possible, but you don't really need to defend caravans.  They come with their own guards and can mostly take care of themselves.  And if they can't, you get to keep all of their stuff anyway!

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

Sometimes you can keep their stuff anyways.  I had a little oddball occurance recently where I had two trade depots set up, on of which was designated for removal.

The eagons went to the first depot in line, the new and functional one, and the merchants went to the one designated for removal instead.  This prevented the wagons from offloading, thus depriving me of precious trade goods.

So, I forbid the trade depot that the merchants were at.  This was after they'd dropped all their goods, by the way.

Well, the trade goods got forbidden too.  The merchants, realizing they were at a forbidden trade depot, made their way to the other one, leaving the forbidden goods behind.  Strangely enough, they decided to crawl over to it instead of just walking.  I've seen them do it before.

And then they made it to the wagons, offloaded the wagon-carried goods and commenced trading.  Nobody was upset, nobody left in a huff, and the trading went along just fine.   When it was over, they left as usual, and never touched the forbidden goods.  

Once they were gone, I reclaimed the goods and had a bunch of free stuff.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>

It might be possible, but you don't really need to defend caravans.  They come with their own guards and can mostly take care of themselves.  And if they can't, you get to keep all of their stuff anyway!</STRONG>

Once things get cooking, the caravan's all get slaughtered. I heard that after a few times they stop coming, or even declare war on you. In my last fort it was getting rediculuous. I really wouldn't want to lose them for good.

My latest forts: