Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves and clothes  (Read 583 times)

ICMB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves and clothes
« on: April 16, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

I've had a couple of fortresses recently going to the ten-year mark, and I've seen a trend where my dwarves don't get themselves new clothes much.

That is, their clothes wear out, and despite making hundreds (for my little 50-population fortress) of items, they still get into tantrums and don't get new stuff for the most part.

Anyone know of ways to get them to be better about replacing them?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves and clothes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

pre-economy, they just pickup whatver they want.  post-economy, they should buy from clothing stores.  which means that you need one.  and they need money to afford it.

i have recently been trying the "naked dwarf" strategy of letting their clothing rot off, and then having a happy nudist colony.  it isnt working.  or rather it is, but my dwarfs are becoming unacceptably unhappy with their worn clothing.

they have plenty of royal-common-rooms, and other things to keep them happy.  but i've just got too many unhappy dwarfs.  so i recently started building a little clothing industry with one-piece outfits and stores to sell them.

seems to be working so far.

ICMB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

Hmm, well the ones that seem to be complaining the most also seem to be the ones whose main jobs aren't used (trapper/craftsdwarf).  So maybe they don't have money to buy clothes.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

Pre-Economy Dwarves don't pick up clothes, unless they're legendary.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

Actually it looks like you can get them to pick up clothes before the economy by drafting them.  They will occasionally get stuck though so if you see them standing there doing pickup equip for half a month release them from service.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.