Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Modern Poetry, how does it work?  (Read 2451 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Poetry, how does it work?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »

I have to agree with Graknorke to a degree, when it comes to modern art. It just seems like virtually all of it is just glorified navel-gazing, whereas more traditional art tends to have an actual purpose.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 06:44:50 pm »

I think that's because only the good or important stuff makes it through history, usually.

I have a copy of the first gothic novel, for example, The Monk.  It was written quite a while ago and it is legitimately... it's basically Twilight, was written by a 19-year-old, and has nothing of value other than being the very first.  So, I'm sure lots of that stupid navel-gazing will fade away.  We'll remember Warhol and a couple other folks who really had stuff to say, and everyone else will be buried by history.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »

I don't mean modern in the sense that it's recent, just modern in style (which goes back like 70-80 years for poetry I reckon). It seems that the poets have become so preoccupied with form (breaking out of the traditional poetry rules) that they've completely forgot about the message. Just look at Ern Malley, and the high praise "he" received. I don't think there's ever been a time where pointless art has received such admiration as it does today.

And hell, I'd go so far as to say that your average country songwriter has more artistic merit than your average modern poet.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 [3]