Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge Problems  (Read 684 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Bridge Problems
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »

I've had zero luck with bridges lately.  I've built one in each of two different fortresses, intending to raise it as a means to block off entry to my fort.  In one case, I was stupid and did not give it a direction to retrace (without a pit below it, it just cleared the way for enemies to enter the fort).  The other, I gave it adirection to raise, set up the level, and ensured it was connected, but when I tested it and when I needed it, the lever got pulled and nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong?

Anathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:32 pm »

Was anything standing on it? Bridges won't lift up if there's too much weight on top of them.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:05 pm »

Was anything standing on it? Bridges won't lift up if there's too much weight on top of them.

Nothing was on it, I made sure everything got dumped off of it long before I needed it.  I don't think there was even an enemy or dwarf on it at the time.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:28 pm »

just did some rechecking, there was a whole single log on the bridge.  Not enough to cause it to break.

Now the bridge was in a carved out corridor with solid rock above and below it....does that matter at all?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:28 am »

Shouldn't matter...

How big is the bridge? A 1x? bridge will have no visual difference when raised.

Is it indeed linked to a lever?

When a lever is moved to the ň position, bridges should lower; when moved to the ó position, they should raise. Note that this is when they are _moved_ to those positions.

Ensure that the bridge has one mechanism in the t menu, and that the lever has two.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:29:27 am »

One tile wide/high bridges doesn't changes visually. Verify that bridge have a mechanism in it and lever two, or just try assigning linking job to a bridge and see if it skip over your bridge.

If the raising bridge's working properly and creature on it don't weights too much, everything in the edge tile gets smashed into nothing. A dwarf isn't heavy enough to stop it, either.

Bridge takes a bit to raise, too, around 100 ticks or roughly 10 average dwarven steps.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:35 am »

Bridge was 5x3, lever had 2 mechanisms, bridge had 1, and I made sure it was linked by trying ot link it again (said no bridges were available and it was my only bridge.

I waited several months and nothing happened, lever did get pulled I saw it.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:41:42 am »

Have you used the lever before? If so, pull it again.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:00:37 am »

Dresdor,

Check out this demo embark, it has a single retracting bridge over a minor river, and a single lever.

I built three mechanisms, built the bridge out of wood, to demonstrate how they work.

use 'q' on the lever, pull it, wait for the bridge to retract.  Then use 'q' again on the lever, pull it a second time, and the bridge will be down.  Repeat as often as you wish, however, you must wait until the bridge actually raises or falls before assigning another pull task on the lever.

Sometimes there's something simple or basic you might be missing, this will show you a working version, for comparison.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:26 am »

Have you used the lever before? If so, pull it again.

To clarify, lever only have two position, ON and OFF, for everything but mechanism, can see it as CLOSE and OPEN. If bridge or floodgate lever gets flipped too quickly, only the first event triggers and the rest is ignored until the bridge or floodgate changes state ( open or close ). Then it's ready for next command. If you turn it ON and OFF too quickly, then turning it back to ON won't set it to OFF and it's ignored the OFF because it was sent while it was changing state. The ON gets ignored too because it's already set to it, so you can flip it straight to OFF.

It's only really an issue with bridge, floodgate and whatever else have response delays.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »

I've used bridges before without trouble.

Maybe it was a toggle issue, I only flipped the level once.  I'll try to reclaim and do a mad rush to flip the lever and see what happens