Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spin up the FTL drives; the caravans are ready to jump!  (Read 2174 times)

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spin up the FTL drives; the caravans are ready to jump!
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:36:50 pm »

So I've seen this three times now, in three separate installs of DF. Once in the original Lazy Newb, once in PeridexisErrant's Lazy Newb, and once in a pure DF that I had modified a few tiles in.

Caravans are packed up and heading out, when suddenly one of the caravans will ROCKET across the screen as fast as an arrow flies; possibly faster. It exits the screen normally, with no problems. The other caravans and merchants dawdle along at their normal, abysmally slow pace.

What gives? Did Urist and his yaks do a few lines of valley herb cut with sliver barb?

Anyone else seen these speeding caravans?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Spin up the FTL drives; the caravans are ready to jump!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6081

Apparently it's an old bug that dates back at least to 40d.

I've seen it a few times over the years. I have no idea as to the cause.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:53 am »

I've never seen them rocket away, but occasionally the lead wagon will race into my Depot. Maybe my forts are more inviting and yours are more terrifying? I don't know.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:28 am »

Maybe it has something to do with animal/wagon attributes?
Someone should dump the info on the wagon and lead animals with DFHack sometime
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:12:26 am »

They've invented gunpowder. Obviously, being dwarves they decided the first thing to do was to strap kegs of the stuff on caravans, disguised as barrels of blood. They then set the kegs on fire, making them explode across the map.
Here at dwarven !!SCIENCE!!s we reanimate the whole corpse! That's 60% more corpse per corpse!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:54 am »

Clearly they just had to leave before the rebel fleet caught up to them.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:01:38 am »

Be warned, you can also get the reverse.  There is sometimes just that ... one ... wagon that takes ages to move.  It worst when the caravan is arriving - all the other merchants have unpacked, but you have to wait for that last one to arrive.  By the time it does, your window for trading is so short you have to have your broker err penned, ready to hit the depot to trade and goods ready to move quick.  Otherwise, they shortly start packing for departure.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:46 am »

Be warned, you can also get the reverse.  There is sometimes just that ... one ... wagon that takes ages to move.  It worst when the caravan is arriving - all the other merchants have unpacked, but you have to wait for that last one to arrive.  By the time it does, your window for trading is so short you have to have your broker err penned, ready to hit the depot to trade and goods ready to move quick.  Otherwise, they shortly start packing for departure.

Yeah that's why I usually put Depot as close to map edge as I can once I'm actively off-loading stuffs, it seem to happen with humans more often for me. Hyper-speed wagons happens from time to time for me, too.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:29 pm »

Unlikely: the same wagon that races in at warp speed will leave at a normal rate, and vice versa. Even without any trading to alter the weight, if memory serves. (which it often doesn't)

They've invented gunpowder. Obviously, being dwarves they decided the first thing to do was to strap kegs of the stuff on caravans, disguised as barrels of blood. They then set the kegs on fire, making them explode across the map.

Wouldn't that just make them explode wherever they are? They'd have to build a wagon-sized cannon to launch themselves in a controlled manner with an explosion.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »

Unlikely: the same wagon that races in at warp speed will leave at a normal rate, and vice versa. Even without any trading to alter the weight, if memory serves. (which it often doesn't)

Well, the altered speed has to be with regard to something different about that wagon compared to the others...
I'm thinking either the attributes or the wagon being underloaded (mass-wise)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »

I'm thinking it's quite likely that some of the traders have graduated to 2nd Stage Guild Navigators.  They're not just traveling quickly, they're folding space.  However, since they have not yet gone fully over into 3rd Stage Navigators, they're hard pressed to go more than one tile per tick.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »

I encountered a fast wagon once before in 40d, and it was certaily amusing. If I can get a saved game (preferably from 40d) containing a fast wagon (ideally one that's currently in motion), I might be able to figure out what's going on with it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »

Are caravans required to pack exactly the same stuff into each individual caravan? If not then what we're seeing is a caravan that just coincidentally gets packed with much less than the others, even though the total weight of the group hasn't changed.

Darulio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

This happened to me in my last masterwork fort, it zoomed in and scared the hell out of me, I jumped out of my chair. It did it again when it left, and it still scared me XD

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »

Are caravans required to pack exactly the same stuff into each individual caravan? If not then what we're seeing is a caravan that just coincidentally gets packed with much less than the others, even though the total weight of the group hasn't changed.

The few times I've inspected the wagons, I didn't see anything abnormal, other than it seem to tend to be the one carrying anvil and metal things in general. That doesn't says much about it, though, with how rare it is and is probably just concidence. It does seem to have gotten more rare since 40d for me, or I might've been playing less often.

Doesn't usually acts the same both ways either, some will do it after, some will do it before. I don't think it relates to animals or their handlers, since they travels way faster than the animals would if they was chased. Well, at least they outruns my dwarves pretty handily.

Not really helpful, I think it's just random.