Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of Food in Fortress  (Read 366 times)

JustAVoice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lack of Food in Fortress
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »

The dwarves can't seem to get enough food for the fortress. The hunters and fisherdwarves can't get enough food to survive the first year. 

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Food in Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »

Got soil and plump helmet seeds? Set up a plot of plump helmet year-around with a farmer that does nothing but farm and haul food.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:22:26 pm »

The dwarves can't seem to get enough food for the fortress. The hunters and fisherdwarves can't get enough food to survive the first year.

You have an immediate problem, so here is an immediate solution - if it's not already too late and a moot point.

Your wagon arrived with two beasts of burden.  Mark one or both of them for slaughter.  This will provide a LOT of food quickly.  If you have a kitchen, the fat will be automatically rendered into tallow.

Tallow cannot be eaten as is, but it can be cooked into meals (through the kitchen) which can be, even if tallow is the only ingredient used.

Kitchens and cooking restrictions can be complex.  Check out the wiki and start experimenting, as the food provided by butchering those animals should give you time to learn.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »

Use the gather plants designation on the whole map. Unless you're in a challenge-worthy biome, you should get more plants than you immediately know what to do with. Repeat every once in a while. In the kitchen submenu of the (z) screen, set the plants to brew only. Set the still on a (r)epeating brew drink job. Go back to the kitchen menu as plants are brewed and make sure that as new seeds appear they are set to cookable. Go to your kitchen workshop and put in (r)epeating meal-cooking jobs. Essentially, you can feed a whole fort off the flora in an average biome by gathering what grows in the wild, brewing it for drink and then cooking the seeds into meals for food. Watch out for job cancellations (which occur when the brewing/cooking exceeds the supply or when you have no barrels or pots to store the drink in) and you're good to go. Note: an alternative to watching out for job cancellations can be to queue up so many brew/cook jobs in the manager screen. In that case you'll just want to queue up more when you find you're running low on food or drink, just like you need to periodically designate more wild-grown plants for gathering.

Yes, this is how I run most of my forts; no, I don't generally embark in particularly challenging biomes; yes, I do try to take some measures to make the surface safe for my dwarves (e.g. restrict them to a hilltop that can only be accessed via raisable bridges, wall off the outside of the map [usually without exploits, because I do like the challenge of doing things legitimately where possible], etc.).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:01:48 am »

i've ran into the opposite problem.

i'm having a foodsplosion due to having simultaneous dog farms, grizzly farms, lion farms, pig farms, ruthurer farms, GCS farms, cave croc farms and a giant eagle farm at the same time.

i'm getting rid of the pigs soon.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.