Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KaoliNOT  (Read 486 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
KaoliNOT
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:27 pm »

Started a new fortress. Things in my previous one went.... awry. Anyways, I dig down some and find Kaolinite. I don't get this stone often for some reason, but i figured a dark red fortress is fine. I throw up a mason shop and tell them to crank out as many blocks as they can.

They promptly tell me to fuck off.

Tried twice, same results. I check the wiki, but it says nothing about not being able to chop this stuff into sections, so i'm confused. Why can I not make blocks out of kaolinite?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: KaoliNOT
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:27:29 pm »

Started a new fortress. Things in my previous one went.... awry. Anyways, I dig down some and find Kaolinite. I don't get this stone often for some reason, but i figured a dark red fortress is fine. I throw up a mason shop and tell them to crank out as many blocks as they can.

They promptly tell me to fuck off.

Tried twice, same results. I check the wiki, but it says nothing about not being able to chop this stuff into sections, so i'm confused. Why can I not make blocks out of kaolinite?

It's by default red in the stone screen. As the only source of porcelain making (clay industry's most precious outcome), it's economic by default.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »

I see, as to keep me from making blocks out of possibly my fortresses primary source of income. Well... handy, I suppose, if not annoying. Oh well. I've decided to make my fortress out of quartzite and gabbro anyways. I guess i'll make some stuff out of porcelain. take alot of trees, though... I never get lucky when it comes to magma close to the surface, and like hell am I building 70 pumps to get it up there.
Legacy of Insightshields

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:33 pm »

Statues can be ridiculously expensive when made of porcelain (something like 300* atleast), and only require one chunk of charcoal to make so its not that bad.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »

You should be able to change the default in stone screen from red to green, making it available for general block making.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44:09 pm »

It's also definitely possible to build either a Magma Piston or use minecarts to take magma closer to the surface without the need for 70 pumps.

Just saying.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »

I'm very, VERY particular about my maps. I can't have huge square holes 100-some layers tall. It would drive me insane. And minecarts.. I've had them explained to me several times and I still only every manage to shotgun my dwarves to death.
Legacy of Insightshields

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:38 pm »

And minecarts.. I've had them explained to me several times and I still only every manage to shotgun my dwarves to death.

um isnt that mission acomplished when it comes to minecart contraptions?  even beter if it involved transporting magma at the time.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:51:47 am »

sometimes, yes, depends on what the mission was. It is generally accepted as a good alternative result if you can't actually get the desired result
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.