Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mortalboat - Dwarves Ahoy  (Read 4466 times)

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mortalboat - Dwarves Ahoy
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 08:12:36 am »

From OM:
Fully impressive. There must be other mega projects that are possible... Mind you, you seem to have made trifling work of capping your fortress in an impenetrable bio-dome, so it would have to be something epic.

Ummmmm....

Maybe hollow out an enormous cavern and build a gigantic effigy of your own face, Mt Rushmore style.

That's a shame about the livestock catapult. Hat's off for trying though.

it was essentially a simple project, but did take a long long time because the production kept getting cancelled when i ran out of sand. i tried optimising it a bit, probably should have moved magma closer to the sand.

19000 blocks is a huge amount though. plus 1000ish for the green glass walls, plus however many rock salt blocks required for paving about 1700 tiles of road

i had more guys dedicated to glassworks and masonry than i do in my entire miltiary, and that's not counting the legions of haulers bringing sand bags to the glassworks, and then glassblocks outside for the masons

i think that's a reflection of what happened when i completed the pump stack actually, i stopped viewing the fort as a struggling outpost surviving against the wilderness, and instead it became viewed as an industrialised society whose primary concern was productive economic output

oh one other thing i did, which was quite sneaky:
-set all my forges to make copper bolts on repeat
-turn off weaponsmithing on my actual weaponsmiths
-filter all my dwarves by those who have no current moodable skills, and activate them as weaponsmithing

then keep refreshing dwarf therapist, and when a dwarf gets his first level in weapon smithing, deactivate it on him.
this means someone else will then be pulled in to the forge to make bolts, that dwarf will get a skill level, etc

i did about 55 dwarves like this and got them all to have their highest moodable skill as weaponsmithing - and made approx 25000 copper bolts doing it, somehow!
and another 33 as armorsmiths by making copper armor, which i then melted.

so if a dwarf gets a Strange Mood, its now much more likely to be something useful, as they prefer to make artifacts from their highest skill, rather than the current junk i was mostly getting like wooden jewellery

this program has had an immediate payoff, while it was part way through i got an artifact iron crossbow, for the captain of my marksdwarf squad
also got a artifact wooden bow, but not using it currently as i'd have to trade for arrows, can only make bolts
i already have an artifact iron battleaxe too, i'm guessing its better than a steel masterwork one but probably not by loads. kind of nice though that i've got an artifact weapon on each of my squad captains.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:15:21 am by Sp00ky »

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:06 am »

i've decided what i'm going to do with the fort.

1- simplify the entrances, at the minute i have an access road on all 4 sides. i just need 1, really.

2- make a safe route for traders, that can go to depot. restrict depot-to-fort access with a gate, and keep it shut

3- make a unsafe route for attackers, that leads to automated death. pressure plates linked to bridges that drop you into magma, or that open floodgates to drop magma on you, and then pumps the magma back into the cistern to reload, or similar

4- wall myself in.
i don't need traders any more, they can go to the depot and then leave again i don't care. restrict access for my dwarves so they can go to the ground level fields that i've entirely walled in, but they can't go past the safe line

5- war footing
make maybe 100 masterwork copper crossbows, draft all adult females to marksdwarf squads and leave them training on archery targets.

archer training takes a long time, but i've got 40,000+ bolts. in the meanwhile, my non military adult males will be making 10-20 years of food / booze / clothes, plus 200 masterwork steel armor suits and 100 masterwork steel spears
once this is complete, draft all adult males and danger room them, which trains very fast

6- engagement
dig out a large underground vault, line the walls with fortifications, station all the archer females behind the fortifications. station all the males in the vault.
remove SPEED cheat
save the game
dig deeply and greedily, make hell break loose, see what happens

if this doesn't work out and i want to continue playing, i think i would start a new fort with less cheats and much harsher starting environment (a terrifying glacier, or something)
i might still keep this fort as well though, or a pre-hell save of it, to use as a testing facility...

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:23 am »

ok so i've removed 3 of the entrances i had, now the only way in is at the middle of the north map edge. also removed all the paved roads that were inside the walls, this gives me 1050ish more tiles of farmland back.

my ground floor surface layer is now 1 big enclosed field of 134x134 square, with 5-wide road around the outside.

i've started outdoor cattle farming, with any pasture-animals i could get in breeding pairs (rabbits, red pandas, and horses so far)
i designated all trees to be cut down, because its not elf fortress, and also it means they'll regrow faster so i get more later in the coming years. once i finish my current steel making project the only thing i'll need wood for is storage bins and barrels though.

i've moved the trade depot from level -1 to level +1, its on the top of my glass ceiling, and enclosed with roof and walls so i can seal access from depot-to-fort

because i've got so many idlers all the time, and big farm plots, whenever someone harvests a plant they get a small farming xp. so somehow i've ended up with 74 farmers. these are shortly going to be drafted to the military.
i have maybe 10 dedicated farmers who're legendary planters, but harvesting crops is just the same as any other hauling job except for the small farming xp it gives.

the fortress also has 3-4 legendary weaponsmiths, mostly from the Moods they've had.
and also had 1 legendary armorsmith but she then got a mood, couldn't get the materials she wanted, and went insane and died :(
armorsmith is probably the most valuable skill in a fort, and one of the slowest to raise (which is why i was only using 1 smith to concentrate all the xp on her)
now i've got to either start again and make hundreds of armor items and melt the junk, or hope that one of the 30ish guys with armorsmithing at 'dabbling' skill-level gets a mood soon which pushes them to legendary, although this is random and could take years.

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:20 am »

this might be the last email about my current fort 'Mortalboat', as i've basically completed the things i wanted to do with it

i finished my drowning trap, and shut off the access into the fort.

image below shows ground level
along the north edge is the glass wall, and grey brick road around the outside of the map. i've enclosed the entire of ground-level in glass walls and roofed it with a glass ceiling, to securely land-grab the outdoors ground level. bottom right of the image shows some of the animals i'm farming, can't remember what those ones are, cavys or capybaras or something.

top left, where the green wall kinks downward is the bottom of the staircase which gives access from ground level outside, into the trap itself
the blue ripply strip 4 tiles wide is the small river on my map
the white walls enclose a powerstation of wooden waterwheels, each one is 3x1 tiles and there's 4 rows of 4 wheels, for 1600 power total
the brown lines are horizontal axles, which transfer power. the spiky * things they connect to are gear assemblys, used to redirect power
the green wiggly wall above the power station encloses the bottom of the pumpstack on the left, it draws water from the river. it looks like 2 pairs of green / brown barrels (green cos its made of glass, brown cos that side is covered in mud)
there's 2 greeny/goldy levers (ó) by the axles which are currently ON but that actually means no power is going into the trap's pumpstacks:

level 1 now, this is the bottom of the drowning pond
the green brick background is the glass ceiling over the whole map
the blue 7's are 7/7 deep water
the grey at the bottom is a stockpile, (with brown X's which are wooden boxes full of glass blocks, i was storing them here when constructing the trap)
the brown X at the top left, enclosed in walls, is the staircase for goblins to enter

the icons with red background are dead gobbos, the O's are dead ogresses:

level 2,
the top of the drowning pond
the pumps at the bottom are to fill the pond with water, the pumps on the right are to lift the water into the storage above the pond:

level 3, the bridge level
the green O's are single-tile walls, the vertical green stripes are 1x10 narrow bridges, linked to the brown crown (bear trap?) spiky icons above them which are pressure plates
you enter from the stairs on the top left, go over one of the pressure plates then south onto the bridge, by which time its been triggered to retract by the plate and you fall in the water.
if you make it over the bridge, the pathfinding route takes you to the bottom right, and up along the right-edge. the right edge is lined with more brown circular icons which in this case are weapon traps loaded with warhammers to make you dodge and fall in the water
the eventual pathfinding route takes you up the staircase in the top right:

level 4
top right is a coiled iron chain, next to [some bones from] a bait-animal [that got killed]
i moved the bait animal up a level, to avoid it getting splashed by water (because most animals won't fare so great if i start using magma instead)
in the middle of the picture is the bridge-floor to hold water when its up in storage, which also then would be retracted to dump the water back down:

level 5:
top of the storage cistern. the right hand pump stack terminates here, washes out past 2 double vertical bars for when i transfer water from the lower drowning pond, into the upper storage cistern, for servicing or to collect goblin items.
the lower left hand side also shows the top of the access staircase:

(above this level is just a roof to seal the top in, not shown)

its really satisfying watching the goblins sploosh into the water as they get part way across

however, there are a couple of problems with the design:

-timing
if the bridge resets and a goblin immediately runs across, they can occasionally get clear across the bridge before it retracts a second time
this is dealt with by forcing the goblins to double back after the bridges, and cross a row of 10 weapon traps also on a narrow walkway above the water.
each trap is loaded with 10 iron warhammers. the hammers hit very hard and are likely to kill outright, but their main purpose is to force dodges to make an attacker dodge off the platform into the water.
they're iron because silver isn't magma safe, and warhammers because blunt weapons are less likely to jam

i could also deal with this by doubling the length of the pond, and having a second set of bridges. 10 tiles is the longest bridge you can have but i could have 2 bridges each 1x10 and end to end, both connected to the same pressure plates

-mud
the floor of the storage cistern is a retracting bridge, so after servicing i drop the water back into the lower pond. however, because i made this bridge the same full size as the pond and the cistern there's no drainage effect, it simply dumps all the water at once.
this is nicely dramatic but unfortunately it splashes water over the pressure plates and the weapon traps.
this means that mud accumulates, (its also why various tiles in the trap are brown instead of green) and has clogged the mechanisms so the trap is currently out of commission

this could be solved by cleaning it, or by making the floor of the cistern out of real floor tiles with a smaller aperture dump-gate so water doesn't touch the mechanisms.
the dwarfyist solution though would be to use magma instead of water - the trap was built with magma in mind, and water was just used for the testing phase.

unfortunately, any construction or modification projects are basically not possible any more without going back to an older save, because i recruited ALL my adult dwarves to the military. the only adult to escape the draft was my chief medical dwarf and he is pretty useless most of the time
I've now got ~125 crossbow dwarves, at mediocre levels of skill. it takes so long to level up firing at archery targets, even though between them they've used maybe 30000 bolts in training.

i've got ~55 axe dwarves and ~50 hammer dwarves
the repeating wooden spear traps in the danger room train melee guys very fast.... i mean yes they did fatally impale 4-5 unfortunate guys at the start of this fitness program, but the survivors are now all super-legendary.
(level 15 in a skill is legendary, level 20 is legendary +5 and the highest that matters in game. but the game keeps tracking xp gains even after that, one of my original military guys is an axelord who is Fighter level legendary +317... he's been danger rooming for 15+ years)

before the melee dwarves got drafted, i had all the crossbow ones training for a couple years while the melee candidates were digging in the depths.

they made a battle arena, which is a 17x17 square room with a single down-stair in the middle
around the edges is fortifications carved into the rock that archers can shoot through but creatures can't pass through
behind each wall of fortification is a set of chambers for archer dwarves

access to the fort is in the top left, behind a set of bridges and doors:

i'd removed the ceiling from this chamber so on the level above was another set of fortifications and rooms, for a second tier of archery:

down the down-stair, was a passage to hell. but not a simple one
 (via the blue 'v' down-arrow ramps, this digs into an adamantine spire)
i'd made a single-tile  zigzag route to follow that hopefully should slow down a rush slightly, maybe into a manageable trickle.
also along the passages was 12 side-chambers, each with a bait-table and a lockable gate, to try and lure demons and trap them separately, to split them up.
shown here,  in the middle of the image by the table passages, is 2 red demons and 2 brown ones:

so all of these preparations were finally complete, everyone in position, civilian alert in place to keep children in the upper fort, (although every baby available was being carried by its foolish archer mother)

i breach hell with great trepidation, and nothing much happens. a few minutes later a couple of soot demons and flame monsters find their way up into the passages beneath the battle arena level, they dither around looking at the table side passages and generally not doing anything

hmm
it seems the demon pathfinding is very crude

so i shut off some of the bridges down on that level to reduce their options. they manage to overcome their confusion at the sight of tables and make their way into the zigzag bit, and then towards the upstair into battle arena
as they round the final twist in the passage, a couple of dwarves on the level above detect them, and leap down the stairs into battle.
brave, noble, retard dwarves.
once a military dwarf has charged an enemy, there's no orders you can issue to call them back. so then its 1-2 dwarves in a narrow passageway, with no archer-support, against 2-3 demons.

fortunately they butchered the demons. i checked previously and the demons i have are composed of really flimsy materials. soot haunts, blizzard steam and flame monsters, giant mosquito demons, flame-scorpions

after that i pulled all the melee guys out of the arena, and just relied on the archers behind their fortifications for the next demons that arose. it was 2 flame monsters, and they got hit by 2 bolts each before exploding into flame and vanishing. i didn't even get a chance to screenshot it, i wanted to see a serious flurry of bolts in midflight

so far, the demons have been weaker than goblins and a big disappointment
(I just remembered after writing all of this, that i'd forgotten to deactivate the speed cheat and my dwarves still have superfast attack and move speed)
however, i did see a forgotten beast wander into hell a while ago and get hit by a group of demons, some of them spew webs and immobilised it, others spit fire and burnt it, between them they destroyed it

most recently, there was half a dozen various demons in the passages under the arena, and i sent in my best axe squad to clear them out so i could simplify the passages to avoid confusing their pathfinding, and also to breach the second spire, which seemed to have more demons collected in it

but the axe guys got webbed and set on fire
so i had to send an archer squad in behind them, only 2 of them were able to get round the corner enough to be able to fire, but they killed the demons and my axe guys seemed unscathed (masterwork steel armor yay)

currently, i've issued orders to dig out some of the passages but the only guy who can do so is the chief medical dwarf and he's asleep, the lemon

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 03:23:48 am »

i've embarked a new fort, called 'Constructsack', on a terrifying freezing volcano

it might be a bad idea
the game doesn't really support doing this, i had to spend a couple hours with PerfectWorldDF utility to generate the map, and then use a 'just embark' utility to let me actually embark here because normally you can't on a mountain like this

there's no trees, no water above ground, there's high 'evil' and high 'savagery'

there is flux and hematite so i can make steel, sand so i can grow crops and make glass, an underground lake that flows across the caverns
the volcano is actually more like a lava-pit, in the north east, its open to the sky but is a few levels below ground
south east is a steep, sharp spike mountain. rest of the ground level is snow-covered sand

hmm
 i think i wanted an above ground volcano, like a traditional caldera that i could tap into sideways to flood magma out over the surface. will manage something though probably

currently starting to dig into the mountain to start my fortress
also there's that big mountain spire thing outside, going to level it to collapse it to gain the minerals

however
it is snowing frozen blood, covering the landscape in red
somewhat disconcerting

a second blizzardman has arrived. the first one got killed by dogs fairly quick but this one is unconscious and has lost its head and is surrounded by the dogs
he is "a large humanoid monster from the wild tundra, it has translucent skin, icicles for teeth, red glowing eyes and pointed ears"
it has lost its head and received enough head wounds to have "a massive jagged scar" on its head, about 80x times
but still not dead. in fact if it has scars that means its healing somehow?
reminds me of ben kingsley in sexy beast- http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Plan+B+Not+This+Time+Gal+%28Skit%29

as it still lingers in undeath by the outside of my fort, it scares off all my dwarves away from their tasks and nothing is being done

"you know nothing jon snuuuhhhhhhhho"
this might be the end of the fort, if i cant kill the beast then i cant proceed

the blizzardman currently has every body part 'missing' apart from upper body, lower body, (both 'broken')
there's a splatter of his teeth across the sand near the fight where someone knocked out his jaw

i drafted all my dwarfs to a miltary squad to try and kill this abomination, even designated one of my dwarves to equip the copper axe which we optimistically brought along for a woodcutter, but they can't equip anything while during a fight. damnit

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 03:25:04 am »

Final tale of Constructsack
i tried to not use any of the exploity things in DF this time, like no danger room to turbo-train soldiers by getting them to dodge wooden spear traps all day long
no cage traps as they always work
i did use dfhack a lot tho, to reveal stone types, to designate veins to be automatically dug out, to clean blood, to set all shrubs on fire to clear space for more trees growing. worst cheat was probably 'grow' to make all saplings instantly turn into trees as i needed wood

i also still had speed cheat on so all dwarves are super fast

anyway so i arrive on the volcano, its flat sandy ground for most of it with a magma pipe in the north east, it stops a couple levels below ground to basically be a lava pit.
there's also a massive triangular spike of a mountain on the central-east side, its 75 levels high
the sandy ground is covered with a dusting of snow, but then another layer of frozen blood. it snows frozen blood out here for some reason.

there's no water, no trees, no coal
these are all fairly big problems

i strike the earth though, and dig a small fort into the mountain
i carefully flooded one level of my fort with magma, tapped out the side of the volcano, to power magma forges on the level above
level -1 is mostly sand though, so i dug ALL of it out and opened up the caverns at level -60, so that any underground soil tiles will now get cave-plants growing, this means i've got a massive tree farm

i can turn wood into charcoal, and have marble for flux so i should be able to make iron into steel but its not working. i made a squad of 10 guys with iron armor and silver war hammers though

fort is all going well,

ohh actually no there was 2 failed embarks before this, i had to abandon and reclaim, twice
in one of them i was too focused on chopping down the mountain, because i thought that when i under-cut it and collapse it, it would turn the whole thing into rubble and i'd get access to all the stones and gems.... mountain connects to the eastern edge of the map so i sent my miners to make a vertical cut along the east edge, and also dug out the entire of the first level above ground.
i got most of my miners stranded though, by digging away their access routes back down the mountain. i had a mason but i got her stranded as well
i continued with the digging process but forgot about the rest of the fort, they ran out of booze and died of thirst

the other (first?) embark, one of the blizzard men that lives on the mountain came and attacked, and my dogs knocked him unconscious, but they couldn't kill him because they need to have the upper and lower body separated to die. and when unconscious, all attacks hit the head. a unit in combat will ignore any other orders so they fought till they starved. after this i took an axe  dwarf in copper armor as part of my starting 7.

anyway in the 3rd embark, i finished the mountain cutting, the whole thing was resting on a single support and when i pulled the lever, the mountain collapsed. it only fell a single level though. i got all the rocks and gems from that layer, but not the whole mountain. i left it alone after that.

ok so fort is still going well, but i cant make steel so i traded for enough to get a 2nd squad of 10 guys with steel armor and battle axes

i built a small pump stack from level -3, up to level +4, and it sends lava into a cistern above the volcano. my entrance to the fort now routes over the volcano's caldera, with bridges either end so i can shut goblins in then dump lava on them, and then drains out the sides back into the volcano
this was the main thing i wanted to achieve with this fort
while i was building it, i accidentally cave'd-in half a dozen various dwarves down the magma pipe. including 2 at once, so they could report on each other dying - by drowning! hmm. i must have temperature switched off (for lag reasons) so i exit & turn it back on, and no sooner do i reload game but a big goblin siege!

they enter the magma trap, the trolls smash all the iron drainage grills i'd put around the edge of the trap but no matter. i'd failed to connect up one of the bridges so they couldn't be shut in. i dropped the magma anyway and it burns a satisfying number of goblins, and their giant rat mounts, but there's lots of lava on the entry path so new goblins wouldn't enter till its gone. i reloaded the trap and waited, but the siege ended before i got a chance to use it again

generally, the difficulty of 'terrifying' embark wasn't as harsh as i'd feared... there was maybe a blizzardmen at the start each time i embarked here and they were distracting but not dangerous
there is 1 forgotten beast in the caverns but i've sealed them off, only opened it for water from the cave lake to make a well, but that's secured.
i've had a siege but it wasn't that scary, my military coulda killed them probably even without speed cheat
Pages: 1 [2]