Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hi, newb question  (Read 462 times)

DungeonK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hi, newb question
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

How the hell do you exit the game without saving?  I drove myself crazy last night trying to figure it out and finally just cheated and closed it through task manager...

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, newb question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

You don't, not yet.
exiting like that can corrupt your savegame and it can take weeks or months to show up...when it does it's gone.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

It's a persistent-world game, obviously what you do has permanent effect.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

If it really bothers you, you can just create a save (by saving+exiting), then back it up (say, by archiving it with winrar), and then when you play further you can exit (either normally or via task manager), delete the current save and replace it with the archived one.

Which is what I assume you were trying to do.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

DungeonK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>If it really bothers you, you can just create a save (by saving+exiting), then back it up (say, by archiving it with winrar), and then when you play further you can exit (either normally or via task manager), delete the current save and replace it with the archived one.

Which is what I assume you were trying to do.</STRONG>

Yes, I was just hoping there was an easier way than that...  When games take such a massive amount of time I was hoping I could try things and go back and try different things, but okay.  Thanks for the help guys.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

i understand your point of view

i think the reason toady does it this way is:

1. it's in keeping with the roguelike game traditions, where you can't save and retry something.
2. it amplifies the risk of the game. if you do something wrong, you have to pay the price. it makes you think.
3. it would seriously mess up the world to have seperate savegames floating around that are linked to a world, since each world is supposed to hold data from previous games.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

Save scumming is supposed to make you feel dirty. Hence the name. And the fact that the errors include the term "Inflate".