Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fill pond to level 7 with buckets...is it possible?  (Read 371 times)

greenleaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fill pond to level 7 with buckets...is it possible?
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »

I've got a bucket brigade hauling water as fast as they can into a ~9x2 moat in front of my fortress.  The bottom is getting nice and muddy but the squares never seem to hold more than 1-2 waters at a time before they dry up.  Is it possible to do this with buckets alone?  Or am I just beating my head on the wall?

greenleaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fill pond to level 7 with buckets...is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:59 pm »

Hah, I got this now.  Designated every single square of the pit as a separate pond, and sent my army of peasants after it with buckets.  Its filling up now!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:15 pm »

Dwarves will stop filling a pond when it reaches 6/7 depth.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:46 am »

if there ainīt more than 1/7 of water the water can "dry out"

The way to fill a big pond is therfore to make it a small first and slowly chanel it bigger, that way you.
If you start with a small 1 tile hole and fill it up you can dig it out to a 3 tile hole without getting any drying effect.
And then you do slowly expand. thats the way to do if you do not like to use the bucketarmy.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:35:29 am »

Yeah as you've found out, each pond zone only generates one job, you'll need multiple pond zone to fill things up.

1/7 of water or magma will dry out eventually, above that for water only dries out if the area's exposed to light and is very hot biome.

Dunno about actually filling up, I've only used buckets to water dry stones.