Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everyone loves Akrulgeshud!  (Read 1165 times)

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Everyone loves Akrulgeshud!
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

I have apparently started the most popular fortress ever!

I'm on like the 4th year, and I've never been besieged by anybody, humans, goblins, anything.   I've only killed 1 monster, an anemic giant rat that ambushed me near the chasm and was promptly strangled by a mere novice wrestler.

Sure, I haven't done anything to bother the human merchants, but I'm a little surprised to have never seen a single goblin, river monster, magma creature, or chasm thing, other than that rat.

I've got multiple forges on the magma vent and use the river for irrigation farming.  I don't really chasm anything, since I haven't bothered to make coins yet so I don't have a bookkeeper.

What is it that causes you to get attacked?  I'd hate it if all these bronze serrated disc traps and my legendary seige operator went to waste.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: Everyone loves Akrulgeshud!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »

Kill the human caravans. You'll eventually piss the humans off. Also, cutting down hundreds of trees over and over again will piss the elves off. Also, are you on a peaceful map?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

No, it's "Wilderness".

It's not that I'm trying to get attacked, I'm just surprised I haven't seen any random monsters or at least a goblin or something.

How frequent are river/chasm/magma monsters?

Is there anything that triggers goblin sieges?

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:42:00 am »

one thing you could do is to flood the chasm, that would get some monsters flowing. also, i heard having dwarves drink from the rivers makes sewer guys mad. Magma forges ought to get you some magma men.

however, i do understand what you mean. i've had fortresses like this; almost overly peaceful. oh well...

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:00 am »

My current fortress is equally peacuful. The chasm was nuked straigh away, so this doesn't count.

But as to river, there was exactly one frogman attacking. Two more have been sighted, but they both disappeared into the river without causing any harm (or even trying). This at times when dwarves were drinking a lot from the river. No further sightings since the wells have been built.

On the magma side, one moster has torched a dog. Some months later, another creature has destroyed a floodgate -- I was made aware of this by a message. The floodgate was some distance away from the next opening to the maga and the actual monster never was seen.

It's now 1058, so that's what? Seven years? Other fortresses had groups of 5+ frogmen attacking the moment they reached the river...

There's no shortage of Kobold and Goblin thieves, though. I like the civilisation screen:
Export to Goblins: Terror
Offerings from Kobolds: Vengeance

But it's been like that for several years now. I actually WANT my fortress defenses to be tested.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:00 am »

My latest fortress took 3 years for the first "encounter", and that's with opening up the magma on the start of the 2nd year, and dwarves drinking exclusively from the inside river.

Most of my fortresses (even the longer lasting) never get sieged and hardly ever get inside monster attacks, the chasm being the most fruitful spawner of critters.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

So, for one to get attacked, one should play on a truly evil map?
Reality is for people who lack imagination

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

A lot of it is mostly random. You can have a couple years where it's totally quiet (except maybe a few goblin snatchers clogging your blade traps now and then...) and then get three fire men, two lizardman squads, a bronze colossus and an ambush by kobold bowmen within a single month.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:07:00 am »

One thing that I have found that can make the map seem very quiet by glitching the encounters is blocked off areas with access to the area they invade from.

For instance, in one of my older forts I never had any ratmen attack, and thought it was odd, then one day just for kicks I decided to take down my stone aquaduct across the chasm and replace it with a solid platinum one. When I stopped the water flow and opened up the area, massive swarms of ratmen streamed in for years. They were a constant series of attacks, every time a dwarf would be near Id have a pause every couple seconds with more ratmen.

I lost several powerful (and very well equipped, all high quality/masterwork steel plate and weapons) soldiers just to the sheer number of them - theyd be in a 1 wide hallway, but the ratmen would pile onto eachother (and the dwarf) and wrestle him. He'd hack apart 50 or so and then get overwhelmed and slowly be torn apart limb by limb. His buddies would pile onto the same spot and slaughter another swarm of them, but they kept coming and eventually I had 6 of my best guys overwhelmed and mangled. 3 of them died immediately, one was bedridden permanently (mangled upper spine? I guess broken neck), and the other two died a bit later. In the end, all my refuse piles were full, and I had God knows how many ratman parts all over the entire hallway and aquaduct. It had to be in the neighborhood of 1000+ ratmen - Years later, I still have hundreds upon hundreds of ratmen bones scattered around, and I have had 2 bonecarvers going at it constantly. I made a squad of legendary marksdwarves with all the bone bolts  :D

After it eventually stopped, I kept the area open for a bit, and the ratmen started the normal invasion timings, at that location exclusively. Not sure why it was counting it as the sole invasion point, since I had wells and other points of access to the chasm - dumping areas and such.

Anyway, if you have anything like that, you might try opening it up and seeing if you have canned encounters.

Dwarf-slaughtering ratman whupass-hordes conveniently packaged into aquaduct tunnels. What more could you ask for?

I even got an artifact ring out of it showing dwarves making plaintive gestures, ratmen laughing, ratmen falling, and ratmen dieing. Must be a big ring.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

Your only 4 years into it, what do you expect, goblins dont come till at least year 10..
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 07:20:00 am »

Where did you discern that? I have had goblins much sooner.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 07:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>Your only 4 years into it, what do you expect, goblins dont come till at least year 10..</STRONG>

Damn, that's a long wait! What am I supposed to do between year 3 when my fortress completes and year 10?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

Expand.

Anyhow, I've gotten goblins as early as year 4. If you get bored waiting for them just start chasming refuse and you'll get some ratmen you can use for target practice.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

I thought only some map have ratmen. I'm pretty sure my map doesn't because I have channels flooding the chasm and I get only occasional batmen and maybe a few giant rats. I know one of my older fortresses had legions of ratmen and I trained up legendary wrestlers because of them as well as marksdwarves from their bones.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 08:26:00 am »

Only one type of creature attacks continuously from the chasm and that varies from fortress to fortress.