Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stay interested in the early game?  (Read 556 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
How to stay interested in the early game?
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:25:55 pm »

I have no problem staying interested in the late game, but I typically get bored and abandon before goblins can get a chance to invade. Any tips for staying interested until they show up?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: How to stay interested in the early game?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:55 am »

The best advice I can give you is "bite the bullet"

Personally, I have the opposite kind of problem, so I'm not sure what to say other than "just stick it out."

Alternatively, embarking in Evil areas can give you some early-game !!fun!!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:31 am »

Dig deeper.  Unsealed caverns can be a constant source of ☼fun☼ from the early game on if it's a military challenge you're looking for.  Frankly, I find myself madly attempting to forestall goblin aggression so I can actually build my defenses (at least now that I'm going cold turkey on cage traps and danger rooms), but to each his own.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:02:25 pm »

That's interesting.  I usually find the early game to be the MOST engaging.  It's usually after four or five years of an established fort that I find the ennui setting in, between when I can lay waste to the FBs and before FPS death finally petrifies that particular fortress.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »

That's interesting.  I usually find the early game to be the MOST engaging.  It's usually after four or five years of an established fort that I find the ennui setting in, between when I can lay waste to the FBs and before FPS death finally petrifies that particular fortress.
I have yet to fight a FB yet (saw one). I'm just the same: I have lots of fun setting up, but once I reach metal and have 50+ dwarves, it's so ANNOYING to set up a military squad etc. I don't know, but the whole military process is just fiddly and unfun for me, so I never got to the stage where I had a functional military in the first place. Everytime I work with the military screen I lose the grip / want to proceed.
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:50 pm »

I agree the military screen is fiddly, annoying, poorly laid out, and a few other choice words I have for it.  If toady ever decided to take this game to a 'beta' stage it'd be the second thing I'd harp on, interface wise.  The first is 'everything, rethink the overall interface design'.

However, once your military IS setup, it's relatively easy to get them where you need them via (s)quads.  It takes a bit of time and practice to use that screen... alright, it takes about 40 to 50 hours to learn to use that screen completely, because of all the time you have to keep going in because something STILL isn't right.... but it's what we've got until Toady decides the UI is worth his time.

Now if we could just get remove/over clothing to function intelligently it might have a shot at not having half naked dwarves running around until we can get all our armor into place.  God forbid you miscount by one right now.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:32 am »

Set yourself some short-term goals that'll take a couple years, such as:

-- Training up your military and building seige engines to fight the goblins.
-- Building every dorf a bedroom.
-- Building a nice sculpture garden, restricted to a certain material on hand.
-- Building some other not-so-necessary miniproject.

Or, breach a cavern for some instant fun.  ;)
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.