Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can the waterfall tile flood me  (Read 852 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can the waterfall tile flood me
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

Can the waterfall tile leak floods into my fortress? How do you guys handle digging, when suddenly you find a waterfall square? Do I need to load my save and dig around it, or can I touch the waterfall square safely as long as I'm not touching the blue river water itself?

Thanks!

Tim

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can the waterfall tile flood me
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:34:00 am »

Yes, they flood, both "above" and "below" waterfalls. You can bridge over a waterfall completely, so it shouldn't bother a floorplan too seriously, and if you're afraid of free tower caps from natural flooding you can block it off from your corridors with doors and windows.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

If you're talking about the initial flood: that may only happen when you first discover the river. After that, you're safe.

You will get seasonal floods, one pic may say more than 1000 words: http://www.schnobs.de/55-07-11_flood.png

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

wow, thats a nice flood.  but it does not actually answer the question.

if a waterfall (and no other river square) is breaking through your wall, it will still flood through.

i had a setup like that, and it kept flooding into my dining room and mudying the engravings.  i had to put statues in the breach to block the floods.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>wow, thats a nice flood.  but it does not actually answer the question.</STRONG>

I do not know if waterfall tiles will spawn flood events. But if you look at the picture, you will see that the darker core of the flood pretty much has a diamond shape with only minor distortions. The distortions are due to the fortifications. If the waterfall was impassable, a whole chunk of that diamond  would be missing.

In short: a flood spwaning nearby on the river can obviously spread across the waterfall tiles. So, no, a hole near the waterfall is not safe.

(then again, you may plug holes of any size using doors)

EDIT: just checked and found that the flood is placed in such a way that it does not allow any conclusion; the waterfall may block the flood, and it may not.

[ April 02, 2007: Message edited by: schnobs ]

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

Waterfall tiles don't leak floods (which makes parts of my herb-farm useless).

Edit: Picture

[ April 03, 2007: Message edited by: seizer ]