Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guard towers?  (Read 850 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guard towers?
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

Is it possible to build "guard towers" now? As in, build a wall, and a floor on top? Will marksdwarves shoot down at the enemy?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Guard towers?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

Yes, and yes. Check the thread I made about wooden fortresses, it'll explain how to rewall and build ceilings. You can then surround those upper floors with fortifications and your bowmen will fire down from up there.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

the big question is do troll destroy rewalls? it would be kind of useless if your guard tower got smashed and your dwarves fell to their deaths.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>the big question is do troll destroy rewalls? it would be kind of useless if your guard tower got smashed and your dwarves fell to their deaths.</STRONG>

If they just fall one tile, they may be stunned but are otherwise alright. I collapsed a human tavern with the mayor and some other guy inside. They were blinking Xs for a while, but they finally got up with no wounds and walked off.

Guess that means your marksdwarves better be good hammerers, too?

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Sorry... You COLLAPSED a human inn?  :eek:

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

Greiger posted a video of the same thing the night this version was released. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post. Won't happen again. http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-51-undermining

It's actually easier (in my opinion) to completely mine out under the building and then build channels around it. Doesn't look messy and you're less likely to lose someone.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]