Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ammo and quiver advice please  (Read 484 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
Ammo and quiver advice please
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:26:11 am »

How do I find out what is in my quivers?
How do I empty one if it has a mixture of bolts and/or arrows in it? (If I dump a quiver does that empty it or get rid of it?)
How do I fill quivers with bolts or arrows?
Can I set certain ammo for training? If so, how? If not, what IS training ammo?

Most of my ammo stockpile seems to be taken up with one bolt per tile at the moment. How do I prevent this?
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo and quiver advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:14 am »

How do I find out what is in my quivers?
How do I empty one if it has a mixture of bolts and/or arrows in it? (If I dump a quiver does that empty it or get rid of it?)
How do I fill quivers with bolts or arrows?
Can I set certain ammo for training? If so, how? If not, what IS training ammo?

Most of my ammo stockpile seems to be taken up with one bolt per tile at the moment. How do I prevent this?

For quivers laying around, press k, scroll over the quiver, then enter. If a dwarf has equipped one, press v, scroll to the dwarf, press i, select the quiver, enter.
I don't think you can, dwarves will change the ammunition themselves as needed.
You can't manually. Go to the military screen with m, press f, select ammo for training and combat for the squads. For squads of 10 men, set the amount to 250 (25 is max for a quiver).
See above. I recommend wooden bolts for training and everything else for combat. Bone is the best for combat IMO, because it's cheap and does enough damage.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:58:38 am »

Don't assign bows to dwarves if you can help it, or let them pick ranged weapon with bows lying around, that's most of my arrows problem. Can assign them to only use bolts through military ammuntion screen. Dumping arrows are better option.

Dwarves will fills it on their own, the ammuntion number is squad-wide and divided between members, not inviduals.

Haven't tried to set training/combat, it used to be pretty buggy, but supposedly you can set a specific kind of ammo to be training and another for combat.

To deal with one bolt per tile, use bins to compact them all up.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:30 am »

I've had quivers with 40 bolts in them, usually a mix of metal and bone bolts, so 250 for a 10 man squad can leave some without bolts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:59:53 am »

Assigning more than 250 bolts (for a 10 dorfs squad) is not going to cause any major issue really. Worst case scenario, they might reserve more bolts than they actually need to.

Having plenty of bolts at the ready is very suggested regardless. So things should keep going smoothly enough unless you set that to something unreasonable like 1000+ bolts per squad
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!