Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training Question  (Read 392 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Military Training Question
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:22 pm »

What it says on the tin. I set my dwarves in squads of 3, with two minimum required for training. My problem is, even though I gave them some nice shields and +saguaro training spears+ they refuse to use them in sparring. Instead, they just spent 12 pages kicking, punching, shield bashing, even scratching and biting each other. Is there any way to get them to use their spears or do I just have to hope they will eventually realize the spears will be more effective than gnawing on the goblins? It is worth noting that they were an herbalist, woodcrafter and furnace operator without an ounce of prior combat skill between them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:53 pm »

Just making sure, because this is a mistake I made when I first started playing, but did you assign the spears to everyone in the squad, or just the first dwarf?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:19 am »

[v] over the dwarves and check their [i]inventory. If they're actually holding the spears, they should use them eventually.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:30:55 am »

Also, they won't spar until their weapon skill is almost matched up. A dabbling speardwarf won't spar with a proficient speardwarf.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:41 am »

Interesting. How long has it been? I usually get Legendary Speardwarf within 2-3 years following your method. But it definitely helps to start with dwarves who have some military training--I usually pick the best 1 or 2 from each migrant wave (so, 3-6 new recruits per year). I agree with the comment above that it definitely sounds like there is an error on your (m)ilitary (e)quipment screen. Also it helps a lot with training if you send them out to kill some badgers and stuff (plus, free meat). And I don't bother with the "set 2 to train" micro-management. And if you make sure they have waterskins and nearby access to barracks, food, and drink, they will spend more time training. ;)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:13 am »

I checked, and they all have their equipment. These guys are just mooks for guarding the front door though, since I have too many dwarves and not enough work for them. They do seem to be using their spears now, though. or at least they are getting experience with their spears faster. In any case the problem seems to have resolved itself :)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.